Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
liscenced electrician

Share |

cpvc advice on roughing in my house

i'm about to re plumb my whole house with CPVC. The house is completely gutted right now. I was just wondering what are some common mistakes people make with this stuff, or roughing in a house in general, and any codes i should know. Like how often do i need to strap it?

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Jimmy,

Here are some tips for you;

Strap CPVC every 4' horizontally and at least once between the floor and ceiling vertically. Use plastic support hooks and get the kind that hold the pipe a little off of the wood. CPVC expands and contracts like all plastic pipe and if it is fastened too tightly against the framing it can make a lot of popping and squeaking noises as time goes on.

Don't use too much glue. Apply glue sparingly in the fitting. If you get too much glue in the fitting, when you push the pipe into the fitting the glue will get pushed into the joint. If there is enough glue pushed in it can actually dissolve the pipe and cause a failure. I have also seen it cause a kind of bubble of glue in the joint which dries and blocks the pipe. That's real fun to figure out when part of the system doesn't get water.

If you have to use any threaded connectors go ahead and pay the extra couple of dollars and get the kind that have brass or copper threads instead of the all plastic kind. Sioux Chief makes some really good ones. You may have to go to a plumbing supply to get these, most DIY stores don't have them.

While you are at it, Sioux Chief makes some great other products for adapting CPVC to copper. I recommend using their preformed ells, along with sweat type tub/shower valves. Use copper for the tub spout piping and shower head riser and use the Sioux Chief ells for the inlet connections. This allows you to properly secure the tub/shower valves so they don't wiggle and wobble when you use them.

Likewise, the Sioux Chief ells work great along with a sweat hosebibb. Hoses get pulled around a lot and this method really lets you secure the hose faucet so it doesn't get yanked out of the siding or brick.

One more tip. You can get shut off valves made entirely of CPVC. Don't use them, especially the gate valves. They are prone to leak. The only ones I would even consider are the Ball Valve type, and I have had problems with them. Go ahead and use real brass valves with the necessary adapters. Again check out Sioux Chief. (I promise I am not getting a commission from them). They are really good products that work.

Don't run CPVC too close to heat sources, such as can lights or flue vents. A good rule of thumb is to stay at least 12" away from these kinds of things.

Last of all make sure that any pipe dope or other chemicals that come into contact with any part of the piping system are approved and listed as safe for CPVC. Some chemicals can have a damaging effect on the plastic pipe, causing failures months and even years later. That doesn't mean CPVC is not a good product, just pay attention to what you use with it.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
liscenced electrician

thanks for the advice. This is a gut job remodel, and all the copper piping is getting yanked out, so for the hose bibs i'll just adapt to the copper lines that are running out to the existing ones. as far as what brand, my choices are pretty limited as to what brand my local store carries. As far as the straps, are you talking about the plastic ones that the pipe snaps into? i don't really know how to describe what im thinking of

another question, im putting the washer/dryer in the basement, and im not sure that the drain down there works, you have any links to what kind of pump setup i would need?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #4

i just did the same thing and put a whole supply system in this old house i bought with cpvc. the only problem i had with leaking is this... if you are putting a street elbow directily into a regular elbow( like to drop the line down just 1'' or whatever it is, to go under some other pipe or something) glue these two together the day before. they dont fit really tight like the regular pipes do and when trying to put in the next piece after, they will wiggle. this caused it to leak for me. also just remember to twist each one a little after they bottom out when glue-ing.
drewhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #5

Very good advice Mstplumber and Jimmy21 I heed his advice and if you have time I would order all you can from Sioux Chief. My question is why use cpvc only instead of pvc & cpvc.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #6

I have to post this again because I just want to know. Why use cpvc only instead of pvc & cpvc.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Licensed Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
I have to post this again because I just want to know. Why use cpvc only instead of pvc & cpvc.
The short answer is that while you can certainly get away with using PVC for the cold water piping and save a little money, the savings probably aren't enough to make a big difference. CPVC is also better than PVC for a couple of reasons. It not only can be used at higher temperature ranges but it is also a little stronger material. It is generally less brittle and able to take more abuse than PVC.

When you consider that to use both types of piping in the same overall system you have to have different cements, different straps and hooks, different fittings, etc. it just winds up being more trouble than it is worth.

These are just some of the reasons that no professional plumbers that I know of use PVC in the water system for anything other than the service line from the street. Even in that application I prefer Polyethylene. I have had some bad experiences with PVC water services.

The one drawback to CPVC is that it is susceptible to damage from rocks due to improper backfill under a slab. I am fast becoming a fan of PEX, especially underground. Copper is good, but is getting too expensive for many budgets.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Whatamess

Thanks just wondering
Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
another question, im putting the washer/dryer in the basement, and im not sure that the drain down there works, you have any links to what kind of pump setup i would need?

any idea here? washer in the basement with no drain?