Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Coversion from flood control to ejector pit??

Hi All - brand new to this forum, and looking forward to contributing as much as possible. Let me appologize up front for the long post!!!!

My house was built in the 50s in a Chicago burb. It is a 3 bed / 2 bath split-level house. One bath is on the upper floor, and one is in the basement. The basement also has a laundry tub. It is a plain-old gravity fed sewer system.

All rain water is diverted on the ground, away from the house - not down the sewer. My town has seperate storm and sanitary sewers, however when there is a huge rain, the sanitary main on our street fills up and backs up into the houses. Becuase of this, a flood control system was installed in our front yard long before we bought the house. It is located on our 6" clay tile service lateral between the house and the sanitray main. The "system" consists of a large concrete vault. Inside the vault, there is a backwater valve that is supposed to shut when there is a surcharge in the lateral. In addition, to allow the homeowner to use the facilities during a surcharge condition, there is an overflow port located on the service lateral "before" the check valve (bewteen the check valve and the house), which discharges water into a sump pit (within the concrete vault). The water in the pit is then pumped (via a Zoeller ejector pump) into a port on the service laterial "after" the check valve (between the check valve and the sanitary main). All of this equipment (the overflow port, the check valve, the sump pit, ejector pump and discharge port) is located within the concrete vault. There obviously is power routed to the vault.

Over time, the backwater valve has rusted and the system is not reliable, so I am considering other alternatives (replacing with a new check valve or going to overhead plumbing). I have heard bad things about these backwater valves getting cought up on debris and not closing all the way, and overhead plumbing seems pretty expensive. However, I came up with kind of a hybrid idea that I would like to run by some pros.

My idea is to make the sump pit inside the existing vault into a full-time ejecter pit system. I would like to route the lateral from my house directly into the existing pit (formerly just used for overflow). I would then fit the 2" discharge from the ejector pump with 2 top quality check valves . The dischare line would run vertically up from the pump as high as I could make it within the concrete basin (about 3-4 feet), then loop back down and would fit into the existing 6" clay lateral via an adapter.

My thought is that during a surcharge condition, even with the power out, the double 2" check valves on the sump discharge would prevent a backup into my house. Since most of the waste into the pit would be water, and since the check valves would be situated vertically, the chance for both of them to not close completely is slim, and that they would already be closed before a surchange would occur (they are at the closed/sealed postition at all times except when the pump would kick on). In my mind, it is just like an overhead sewer/ejector pit setup, just without having it inside my house.

Am I nuts??? Is that too much for an ejector pump to handle?

Thanks for any and all feedback (don't worry, I am thick-skinned )!

Mr Blotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

ok how long did the original system work before problem. replace part with pvc not to rust out vs. a pump that runs every or every other time you use toilet or shower.
i lean towards the first lasting longer then a pump

i have seen whole blocks set up with a low presure system before which is sort of what i think your idea is here is i link

http://www.eone.com/drawings/grinder...reBrochure.pdf

http://www.eone.com/drawings/grinder.../lpsdesign.pdf

jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

The existing flood control valve hasn't sealed correctly since we moved in 5 years ago. I could easily switch to a different kind of backflow preventer valve - I was just wondering if an ejector pit / check valve setup would have less of a chance of malfunctioning in the event of a surcharge in the sanitary main.

Thanks for the reply.
Mr Blotto is offline   Reply With Quote