Could You Give Advice On A Leaking Lead Pipe Supply Line? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?

I have a lead pipe supply line that has pin hole leaks. I don't have the money to replace this supply line, but when I'm working again it will need to be replaced. Until I'm working again i was hoping to find a way to temporarily repair it.

I have used a small hammer and tapped the pin holes and this would close the pin hole holes somewhat, but the leaking returns over time.

Could i wrap the lead pipe where it is leaking with rubber cut from a tire inner tube and tighten it down with a stainless steel pipe clamp/ Band Clamp?
I understand that the lead pipe in soft and i wouldn't want to over tighten it. This would only be a temporary repair until i'm working again.

I would appreciate any help you can give me and i will post some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?-picture-081.jpg   Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?-picture-058.jpg   Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?-picture-080.jpg   Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?-picture-068.jpg   Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?-picture-067.jpg  

Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?-picture-072.jpg  

Advertisement

markcal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Let me put this a delicately as possible......REPLACE THE LEAD PIPE!!!! iT IS POISONING YOUR FAMILY. Dig it up by hand if you have to, but replace it. You can probably use PVC (check local code), for supply line, inexpensive, easy to work with.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I'd find a way to get that replaced, even if i had to borrow money to do it. Not only is the lead thing not good for ya, but it looks like that contraption could give out at any time and cause a flood situation quickly. I know that's not what you asked, but i would not recommend repairing that-it looks like it could burst during repair.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

For a temporary fix, I'd clean it up with steel wool and denatured alcohol and use silicone tape.

Consider installing a whole house filter after the meter.
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote