Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Share |

Could use advice regarding plumbing for a basement bathroom

Hello,

When we had our house built in 2003, we planned ahead by having the builder rough in the plumbing for a basement bathroom. We are now working on finishing our basement and I would like to add the bathroom. Where I can use some guidance is understanding which pipe is for what coming out of the floor. I understand which is for the toilet (4" cast iron pipe coming out of the floor). I am confused by the two 2" pipes coming out of the floor. I am assuming one is for the sink/vanity. Is it possible the other is for a vent pipe for the shower (there is a fourth pipe located beneath the concrete basement floor with an 18" by 18" opening in the floor - I am assuming this is for the shower drain and trap).

I have attached a photo along with my thoughts. Any guidance would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you,

R.K.
Attached Thumbnails
Could use advice regarding plumbing for a basement bathroom-basement-bath-plumbing.jpg  

raaczb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #2

It looks like you've got it figured out, though I wonder why pvc pipe is in the tub/shower box and the rest of the house is abs.
You're vents need to exit the roof or tie into others at least 6" above the rim of the highest fixture served. Is your pump vented already? You may be able to go to that vent with your new fixtures.

TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #3

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response. Yes - the pit/ejector pump is already vented. From all of the reading I have done up to this point, I was under the assumption that the pit needed to be vented by itself with nothing else tied into it. Is this an incorrect assumption? If I am able to tie into the vent from the pit where the ejector pump is located, this would make the job soooooo much easier than trying to vent anywhere else.

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

RK
raaczb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaczb View Post
Hello,

Thank you for the quick response. Yes - the pit/ejector pump is already vented. From all of the reading I have done up to this point, I was under the assumption that the pit needed to be vented by itself with nothing else tied into it. Is this an incorrect assumption? If I am able to tie into the vent from the pit where the ejector pump is located, this would make the job soooooo much easier than trying to vent anywhere else.

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

RK
This would depend on your local code and you inspectors interpretation. The same applies to auto vents. I can tie into the pump venting (assuming its sized large enough) but I can't use AAV's. A phone call to your plumbing insp would be the best course.
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote