Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cost of installing hot water heater

what is a reasonable cost of installing a hot water heater? I have purchased about a $150.00 in supplies for the instullation what should the plumer charge for the instulation since I bought all the supplies?

dnaborsmilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.
Rewards Points: 75

never installed a hot water heater must be new item your gas or electric bill will go down allot since the water is already hot why would do you need to heat hot water? Maybe that's why it cost 150$ for material.The cost to install a w/h is determined by size, location of w/h, type of w/h and any code upgrades or modification, re circulation system so i'll let your PLUMER make the call. Welcome to the PLUMBING section of DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

The plumber usually supplies all the parts----so don't be surprised if he (or she) will not use the ones you bought---

Costs vary a lot ---make a few calls----
Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctekkk View Post
never installed a hot water heater must be new item your gas or electric bill will go down allot since the water is already hot why would do you need to heat hot water? Maybe that's why it cost 150$ for material.The cost to install a w/h is determined by size, location of w/h, type of w/h and any code upgrades or modification, re circulation system so i'll let your PLUMER make the call. Welcome to the PLUMBING section of DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum
" Remember this is a DIY Forum we all know what the Op is saying so what if he says Hot Water Heater instead of Water Heater" Just because there are many tradesmen on here including myself it's no reason to pick on the layman trying to save a buck. Remember he's only looking for help.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
a_lost_shadow (06-13-2012), Lightfoot (06-13-2012), oh'mike (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

What I've done since buying a house 2 months ago is to get a minimum of 3 quotes for any project I hired out for. This way I've always gotten the best deal/quality (The lowest price was not always the highest quality so I shot in the middle).
It takes more time than just posting on an internet forum but I have found it totally worth it because I also get to compare customer service and in at least one case it was the customer service on the phone that won the sale, not the price.
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Impossible to tell you without looking.

Some of the worst ones take 3-4 hours.

50 gal water heaters are going for around 300 bucks in our area.

You get a price on labor from a local guy and then do the math.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaborsmilton View Post
what is a reasonable cost of installing a hot water heater? I have purchased about a $150.00 in supplies for the instullation what should the plumer charge for the instulation since I bought all the supplies?
Did you happen to buy the hot water heater? It's not unusual buy the hot water heater and the installer provides all the rest of the parts.

If you want an idea of the maximum you will pay ask HD or L.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebarry View Post

If you want an idea of the maximum you will pay ask HD or L.
I would not recommend HD or Lowes

The 'standard' install price can go right out the window with gas nipple changes flue modifications and a new ball valve---
Last customer I knew that used HD for an install was out $1200 for a 50 gallon tank install.---Lots of ups and extras--lots---

Find a local plumber that your acquaintances have used and trust--
Buy the tank from him also---most plumbers get the heaters from a supplier that also stocks repair parts ---so if your new heater needs service--you can get it fixed fast.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Last customer I knew that used HD for an install was out $1200 for a 50 gallon tank install.
Suddenly the plumbers that wanted $700 on top of what the home warranty would pay to replace my heater don't sound nearly as bad.
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

yea your right just one of those bad days of mine but no excuse should think before i type.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
sacramento plumber

which home warranty we contract with 4 different ones
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

It was Fidelity National. It seems that they've partnered with some very shady plumbers in the area. I'd called about both the water heater leaking, and a drain line leak. I made the mistake of letting the plumbers work on the drain line since the home warranty would cover it completely. I'd been planning on doing the drain repair myself, and had already found out it was extensive enough to require a permit. For some strange reason the plumbers didn't like it when I started asking about the permit and inspection for the work. On the plus side fidelity was more than willing to bend over backwards to correct a mistake they made, and clean up after the plumbers. They even wrote me a check to do the replacement myself on the water heater.

Last edited by a_lost_shadow; 06-14-2012 at 12:35 AM.
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
Suddenly the plumbers that wanted $700 on top of what the home warranty would pay to replace my heater don't sound nearly as bad.
That's what I would ask for, since the last time we worked for a home warranty company, we didn't get paid.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
It was Fidelity National. It seems that they've partnered with some very shady plumbers in the area. I'd called about both the water heater leaking, and a drain line leak. I made the mistake of letting the plumbers work on the drain line since the home warranty would cover it completely. I'd been planning on doing the drain repair myself, and had already found out it was extensive enough to require a permit. For some strange reason the plumbers didn't like it when I started asking about the permit and inspection for the work. On the plus side fidelity was more than willing to bend over backwards to correct a mistake they made, and clean up after the plumbers. They even wrote me a check to do the replacement myself on the water heater.
One reason some trades don't like permits is they have to go get them from the permitting office. Beyond the usual reasons to half-ass a job, that is. By them having to pickup the permits they burn a lot of time getting to/from the office and waiting around. It's sometimes difficult to get the customer to understand why this time isn't included for free.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
TopTechnician (06-15-2012)