Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

Corner Shower Pan Install

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of laying out a corner shower unit in a small bathroom upstairs. It's tight but I think I can pull it off. I plan on building my own shower pan, and plan on tiling the shower stall.

The room has a 12 pitch roof so what is the minimum head room you think I need for a shower like this? Would you recommend a glass enclosure kit, and if so what is a good one to consider. A lot of online reviews say they leak which is what I don't want.

What are my alternatives to a glass style enclosure? Looking for ideas and suggestions......

Thanks in advance for your help

johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
I am in the process of laying out a corner shower unit in a small bathroom upstairs. It's tight but I think I can pull it off.
Figuring a 36"x36" corner shower +30" of wall on each side of that, one side for the toilet and one side for the lavatory and the door in the corner opposite the shower on one of the other two walls... the smallest bathroom floor area I've ever been able to manage is about 66" x 66"... Do you have at least that much?

Quote:
...what is the minimum head room you think I need for a shower?
What does code THERE require for minimum ceiling height?

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 02-14-2013 at 02:46 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #3

I put a shower pan in a 1 1/2 story once. I had to put the shower curtain at about chest height, so one needed to duck under it when getting in and out of the shower. This is because that is where the roof started to slope up.

I think that room was about 66" long and the other dimension had to be less than 4'.

Never any problems or complaints. I explain to people that I was just happy to get a bathroom in the upstair at all.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. I will make a quick cad drawing and post it for further input.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

Here is what I have to work with....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bathroom.pdf (21.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
Here is what I have to work with....
You could make it into a pretty good laundry room.
Have room for a water heater too.

But I don't see it being a bathroom.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #7

not so fast lol.....how about this??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bathroom.pdf (22.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #8

This is the same deal I dealt with a few years ago.

I looked at John's drawing, but I wouldn't put anything on the tall wall.

Take your 112" wall and put a lav in the corner on the right. A 37" lav top is plenty big. It can be a deep one as well.

To the left of the lav, reserve 30" for your toilet. Again, get one that comes out from the wall a bit. Go with an elongated bowl.

Now you have 112-67= 45 inches left over for a shower stall. You can go with a 49" lav now if you want, I guess, and go with a 33" shower stall, the choice is yours.

I had my shower head on the tall wall. You'll have to rig up a shower curtain to go between the tall wall and the slant wall.

I'm going to look at your drawing again.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #9

Yeah, I think that will work fine. I think your short wall is about 4' high. You have 79" in that room, and 60 would be fine. In the shower stall, 4' would be fine.

So, if you like, build another wall 4' out from the tall wall for your shower. Close in an area there and make it a closet cabinet or something.

By taking 79-48=31" out of the slant wall, you should gain about 16" in height on the slant wall before it begins to slant. So instead of having a 4' high slant wall in the shower, you will now have a 5'-4" high wall. Mount your shower curtain at 5'-4" and duck under it. It will be much easier to duck under 5'-4" than 4', right? And the 5'-4" will keep all the water in the shower.

Hope you follow. This should give you a nice bathroom.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Roofmaster

How tall are you ???????

Shack? No way. Topogegio? Way.

Wouldn't you consider this to be a subjective question?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #11

6' and the little lady is 5'3" trying to make best use of the space while achieving a toilet, small sink, stand up shower, and some storage......

cleveman......I kinda understand but do you think I would gain more with a corner shower??
Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #12

It is a corner shower.

The shower occupies the whole end of the bathroom. So it occupies in fact two corners.

If you want to have it only occupy the one corner, that is fine too. You will then have a small triangular shaped area which you could put a garbage can or something in. If you don't build a wall for it, then you'll need some enclosure, or a curtain which extends down from the ceiling, like they use in hospitals to screen off one bed from the bed next to it.

You have a lot more space in that bath than I had in mine. Your 79" is much more than I had. You will have to mount a mirror on the right side wall as you enter, however, because you can't have a mirror above the sink.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #13

Gotcha!! I'm thinkin that if I were to incorporate an opening skylight into this bathroom between the trusses (24" on center") then that would allow me to tunnel out the skylight which would give some head room on the 12 pitch sloped ceiling and possibly allow me to switch the toilet over to the low knee wall
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #14

I am calling for the toilet on the knee wall, and the lav. It is much better to have the toilet on the knee wall, then you aren't walking along the knee wall, rather dropping your pants and backing up to it.

I don't know about a skylite. I think you have plenty of headroom in there, but if you are able to set templates of the fixtures on the floor and walk around in the room, then you'll have a better idea than anyone else.

If you seriously want to make some more room, then you are talking about a dormer. That would be a whole other ballgame.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
If you seriously want to make some more room, then you are talking about a dormer. That would be a whole other ballgame.
I did that on my old home however the neighborhood I live in will not allow for any physical alterations to the structure that would change the outside appearance of the home