Copper Sillcock Broke off inside Brick Wall- How to remove?
Hey guys, replacing some old frost proof sillcocks simply because they are leaking/are hard to find replacement parts for/and have their handles rusted on. Basically felt it would be easier and take me less time to just replace them.
I replaced 2 out of 3 of them already, the last one is giving me some problems though. It was cemented into the house (house is brick), almost looks like it was put in during the initial construction of the home 30-35 years ago when the mortar was still wet. I already replaced one that was cemented into this house, and it wasn't a problem, just wacked the old sillcock with a hammer and got it out. This one, however, was very difficult to get out. While I was hammering both from the outside of the house and the inside of the house (moving it back and forth), it cracked a bit and part of it eventually broke off. So I just grabbed whatever tools I had around and wedged it in the hole and started hammering that in to push it in and out. It was working fine, but after some time, it seems like that copper sillcock is staying in there. It won't budge past a certain point in the brick wall and I can't get it out.
My questions are:
1) How can I correct my mistake and get this copper sillcock out of the wall so I can put a new one in? It seems like hammering is no longer working since the copper is just getting mashed up inside the wall.
2) If you suggest somehow drilling the copper out within that hole, what tools/supplies do I need to do this?
3) Should I just cement up the holes from the outside and close up the holes on the inside of the house and create a new hole to put the new sillcock through? If you think this is the best choice ,what tools will I need to create the new hole through the brick house?
Thanks for the help, much appreciated:)
Got a picture?
Steel rod the same size as the hole and drive it in, not out of the hole.
If you tryed to pound it out from under the house you may blow out the brick.
Thanks for the reply. I had tried using an old frost proof sillcock that was the same size as the hole and was hammering that in from the outside of the house inward to try to push the copper sillcock into the house so it would come out. I did damage some of the brick after I got frustrated and hammered a bit wildly. So I'm not sure if a steel rod would do anything different than hammering in one sillcock to push out the stuck sillcock .
I'll try using a steel pipe anyways. Can you buy one at any hardware store?
And if the steel pipe doesn't work, what would be your "plan b?"
Oh, I took some pictures, but I can't upload them until I get home. I'll try to post them tonight.
Paddle bits are cheap, buy one the size of the outside of the tube and long enough to go all the way through.
Keep in mind I'm not the to see it, and have not seen a picture.
Hey, thanks joe! I used your advice in the first post and decided to just focus on wacking it INTO the house. I was actually using a paddle bit/spade bit in the beginning and it was destroying the copper pipe in the wall and would just bend/mold it instead of push it. So I went back to using another old/spare broken sillcock to punch it through and it finally popped out. I had to wack the crap out of it though, it was really stuck in there. Thanks for your help. I've included photos so you can see what I was working with initially. The copper pipe was all bent up in the hole. And the last photo is the new sillcock installed. I just used mortar to secure it since I had kind of destroyed some of the brick and needed to fill the opening of the hole up anyways. Looks a tad messy, but it works.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.