Copper Re-pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2005, 07:10 PM   #1

Copper re-pipe

I want to replace the plumbing in our house due to clogging faucet filters and shower heads etc.

1) Is copper the way to go?

2) Is cathodic protection required for copper piping?

3) Does anybody have any idea of how much a copper re-pipe job might cost for a 1700 ft2 house? All the pipes run in the crawl space under the house.

Jude

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Copper re-pipe

how old is your house?

Advertisement

pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Copper re-pipe

Pex is the way to go now days.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Copper re-pipe

IMHO I would shy away from any plastic piping. PEX has had problems. Same with PVC/CPVC and Qest. All have had class action lawsuits against them. Copper has been around for a century and the only problem was theoretical and involved lead solder.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Copper re-pipe

I have to go along with Teetorbilt on this one, but as far as drain lines go I think PVC is a good innovation. Maintenance repairs are usually simple and inexpensive.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 270

Copper re-pipe

All of the different water piping materials have their pros and cons. Copper is a good way to go, but significantly more expensive and time consuming. Some of it lasts longer but we are seeing a lot of 30 year old copper, import and domestic, developing pin hole leaks. Good for my plumbing business but really bad for homeowners with wet walls. I would always use PEX. Contrary to what some will tell you, it is a great product. It has been around for over 30 years with few problems. Any problems have been widely reported and the facts of each case are available for you to see during your research. There are many good quality PEX product lines available from many different manufacturers. There are many threads on all the plumbing forums about the pros and cons of each brand. Research online what is available and hire a licensed professional plumber if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Last edited by SHR Plumber; 03-08-2014 at 04:08 AM.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

Copper re-pipe

To address your questions:

1. Your fixtures are clogged according to your post. That may be due to contaminants in the water, and may have nothing to do with your piping. You need to start by having your water tested by a laboratory to find out what is clogging your fixtures, whether that be debris, iron loving bacteria, minerals etc.

2. Is copper the way to go? This topic has been debated endlessly on this forum, and can no more be resolved on an internet chat forum than asking who is the best swimsuit model. Part of the issue is the quality of water you have, which again requires you to get it tested for pH, minerals, and contaminants. All of my copper pipe developed pinhole leaks after about 50 years of service, probably because my well water is acidic. I replace all my copper with PEX, but there are many folks on this forum and elsewhere who regard PEX as unproven, dangerous, or maybe even Communist.

3. Is cathodic protection required for copper? That is a new one on me, I have never seen a residential property plumbed with copper that used cathodic protection.

4. How much will it cost? The age old question on this forum. The standard answer is to get some bids from qualified plumbers. It always costs more than you want to pay. But this is a DIY forum, so perhaps you are planning to do this work yourself? If so, PEX is a lot easier for a novice to work with than copper.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
SHR Plumber (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,682

Copper re-pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR Plumber View Post
All of the different water piping materials have their pros and cons. Copper is a good way to go, but significantly more expensive and time consuming. Some of it lasts longer but we are seeing a lot of 30 year old copper, import and domestic, developing pin hole leaks. Good for my plumbing business but really bad for homeowners with wet walls. I would always use PEX. Contrary to what some will tell you, it is a great product. It has been around for over 30 years with few problems. Any problems have been widely reported and the facts of each case are available for you to see during your research. There are many good quality PEX product lines available from many different manufacturers. There are many threads on all the plumbing forums about the pros and cons of each brand. Research online what is available and hire a licensed professional plumber if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself.

The OP probably decided what he was going to do shortly after he started this thread. 9 years ago (2/3/2005).
ben's plumbing (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,388

Copper re-pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
The OP probably decided what he was going to do shortly after he started this thread. 9 years ago (2/3/2005).
We have a new member who is searching threads and not looking at the posted dates
Old 03-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Copper re-pipe

Do they have a "digging up bones" emoticon?
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Copper re-pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by broox View Post
Do they have a "digging up bones" emoticon?
Note to moderator please find and install a Digging up bones emoticon thingie

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

Copper re-pipe

Makes me SO glad I didn't respond.....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote