Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #1

Share |

Copper or plastic?

I would appreciate some advice. I am getting quotes for replacing my old galvanized pipes. Some have offered the option of using a type of plastic (?) piping vs. copper. Apparently it may save on man hours, but I'm a little hesitant going with something I haven't heard much about. Any input would be great!

k.kuenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Copper or plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.kuenn View Post
I would appreciate some advice. I am getting quotes for replacing my old galvanized pipes. Some have offered the option of using a type of plastic (?) piping vs. copper. Apparently it may save on man hours, but I'm a little hesitant going with something I haven't heard much about. Any input would be great!

If the plastic is PEX tubing, an unqualified yes. It is the way of the future. Material is half the cost of copper and the labor is at least 20% less. Has been used in Europe for over 30 years, USA in the last 10 or so.

If they are talking CPVC, I would not prefer over copper.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
the Musigician

Copper or plastic?

i'd much rather put in pvc and cpvc than copper ANY day of the week. pex is cool too, but more pricey than the pvc. i did my whole house with pvc/cpvc (cold/hot) in less than a day. but if i'd gone copper, i'd have had a heck of a time sweating connections where i had to work! (crawl space, tiny area behind tub, etc.) primer, then glue and it's done. and not one leak anywhere in 5 years. too cool.....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #4

Copper or plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
i'd much rather put in pvc and cpvc than copper ANY day of the week. pex is cool too, but more pricey than the pvc. i did my whole house with pvc/cpvc (cold/hot) in less than a day. but if i'd gone copper, i'd have had a heck of a time sweating connections where i had to work! (crawl space, tiny area behind tub, etc.) primer, then glue and it's done. and not one leak anywhere in 5 years. too cool.....

DM
Pex by far is the easiest to run. Imagine routing flexible hose through your house. What's easy for the contractor may not be better for the homeowner though, with regard to the product.

Time will tell whether it will ever be found that plastic pipes, be they cpvc or Pex, leech chemicals that are deemed harmful.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
registered

Copper or plastic?

If your going pex make sure they expand the pex for connections and not contract. I think expanding is better then contracting or crimping. It can be done either way. Let me explain further. If you have the expansion tool it expands the pex so you can insert the connection. The pex then has a memory which will make it go back to the original size. The other tool is a crimping tool if you will. I don't think thats the way to go.

Last edited by 747; 09-06-2008 at 04:39 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #6

Copper or plastic?

pex gets a big yes copper would be my next choice then pvc
I did my whole house in pex in about a day love the stuff and it is alot cheeper then copper
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
the Musigician

Copper or plastic?

working in tight areas with a blowing flame around wood and cobwebs just kinda scares me is all...... but slap some glue and push is easy.
when i did my plumbing here, i'd never seen or even heard of pex, or i'd have certainly given it a try if it had been as cheap/cheaper than pvc. it's much easier to work around things! (no elbows, etc.) i always wondered before they made the stuff why you couldn't run 'pipes' with garden hose type stuff? i guess someone else had the same thought!

DM

and i agree with handyman on the 'time will tell' for leeching, but heck by the time they discover there is a tiny bit and ban it, we'll all probly be dead anyways. lol
Old 09-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
the Musigician

Copper or plastic?

welp, here's someone that needs chastising.... no spamming here.... sorry, i don't imagine ANYone here is stupid enough to click your links....

DM