Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #1

Share |

Copper Pipe Water Lines

In Ontario, is there any requirement for spacing 1/2 inch copper pipe water lines from the inside of the drywall on an interior wall? Normally vertical copper pipe runs through the middle of the 2 x 4 wall, however for my shower it runs through the middle of the 2 x 4 through the floor and then it needs to pass by (within the wall) a 1-1/2 inch ABS drain that passes horizontally through the wall from the sink to the stack. There currently are two 90 degree fittings that allow the pipe to run past the ABS drain, however I'm at the time to finish the shower and I don't know if it can be touching the inside of the drywall or how much it needs to be spaced. There is shimming on that wall between the drywall which spaces it a bit, but not much.

Any comments are appreciated. Not sure if the code states anything, but I cant think of why it would need to be spaced... The hot water pipe would not be a fire hazard in my opinion.

Thanks

trophywalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Copper Pipe Water Lines

No codes on that one, or through the studs, it is just not good practice, sharp drywall screws love how well the copper anchors the drywall.
If you do come across a point where you must run a pipe close to the exterior of the wall, there are metal plates available that you attach to the front of the studs that will prevent a screw from penetrating, unless you are very stubborn and really apply the pressure.
No fire hazards but you will want a slight space to prevent scraping and sqeaking from expansion and contraction.

Dougtheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Copper Pipe Water Lines

Those plates are the same electricians use to protect wiring when it passes thru a wood stud/2x4. Should be able to get them in the elect section of HDepot.

I was REAL stubborn once with a brand new 7.2 v cordlessdrill (woohaw that was powerful at the time). Worked real well until I undid/unscrewed the screw and found it had penetrated the "local" copper water line. Good thing we had plumbers on staff to "solve" my problem.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

Copper Pipe Water Lines

in my code, if your water line is within 1 inch of the edge of the stud, you must have a nail plate covering it. general practice on spacing around here is to use pound in insulators, which use a 1 3/8" hole, so they're at least that far apart
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote