Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Share |

copper pipe vs pex

I have just bought an acreage and the house was built in 1983. The house has copper pipe in it type M. I am upgrading to high efficieny hot water heater, furnace etc. I have to upgrade the size of the pipe to facilitate better water pressure coming out the hot water tank. I have had a number of quotes which most of them want to upgrade all piping to pex. At this time I have no leaks and the copper piping is in good condition. Should I upgrade to type K or L piping or redo with pex(I still have to change some of the pipe to 3/4 inch)? I have knowlege that mice and rats can eat through the plastic and that over time plastic becomes brittle. Since I live on an acreage I do have mice. I know it will cost a bit more for copper and I'm willing to pay the extra to know I won't be calling a plumber for leaks. This is a typical 1100 sq ft bi-level. I would like some advice on this as it is confusing as to what product will suit my situation.
I'm in trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Do something

copper pipe vs pex

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm in trouble View Post
I have just bought an acreage and the house was built in 1983. The house has copper pipe in it type M. I am upgrading to high efficieny hot water heater, furnace etc. I have to upgrade the size of the pipe to facilitate better water pressure coming out the hot water tank. I have had a number of quotes which most of them want to upgrade all piping to pex. At this time I have no leaks and the copper piping is in good condition. Should I upgrade to type K or L piping or redo with pex(I still have to change some of the pipe to 3/4 inch)? I have knowlege that mice and rats can eat through the plastic and that over time plastic becomes brittle. Since I live on an acreage I do have mice. I know it will cost a bit more for copper and I'm willing to pay the extra to know I won't be calling a plumber for leaks. This is a typical 1100 sq ft bi-level. I would like some advice on this as it is confusing as to what product will suit my situation.
If you are going to use copper for domestic water, use type L. PEX is a great product, only once have I seen rodents chew on PEX and the crwal space was infested with mice. The nice thing abour PEX is that if you have frozen pipes, PEX will not burst. When you upgrade your water heater make sure you do not use Whirlpool (lots of problems). Best of luck.
D'Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Handyman

copper pipe vs pex

I used to like the idea of PEX until I saw the price of the crimping tool
Times have changed and with the invention of sharkbites I am a big fan now. I can feed PEX to a standard copper fixture, ie,: toilet shutoff and have it secured.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

copper pipe vs pex

Depending on the size of your project, a tool might be cheaper anyway. Sharkbites can get up to 3x the cost of a pex fitting, and you're not allowed to have them in concealed locations that I know of.

If you're on an untreated well system, i'd recommend pex over copper. It will last a long time. Pex doesn't get brittle that I know of unless exposed to uv for a long period of time.

As for copper, make sure it's well insulated after installation to prevent bursting during cold snaps.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

copper pipe vs pex

K copper is generally used for underground water service,We normally use L on commercial plumbing and M for residential
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote