Copper Pipe Vs Copper Coil Tubing For Refrigerator Water Line - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Copper Pipe vs Copper Coil Tubing For Refrigerator Water Line

Is there anything I should be concerned about when using copper coil instead of copper pipe when plumbing a refrigerator water line box?

I am planning on soldering a T in an existing cold water line, and then comming off with the coil to minimize the soldering.

Advertisement

kaalapurushha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 590

Install one of these in the wall then use a stainless steel braded line made just for this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...6258B7&first=1

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 10-15-2012 at 08:54 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

Don't bend the copper coil repeatedly. Copper coil lets you bend to fit the location but once you install it, avoid bending it any more. It helps to have a shutoff valve on the pipe coming out of the wall, and you disconnect the copper coil each time you need to pull the refrigerator away from the wall for cleaning behind.

By having a lot of extra back there coiled up you can pull the fridge a little way from the wall so you can reach in more easily with the wrench and disconnect it and it will be springy enough to not bend in the process.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-15-2012 at 08:23 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,638

Take a good look at other products for this application. Example: 1/4" plastic tubing similar to Pex has been used successfully, when installed correctly, for 5 decades or more. Copper will deteriorate for a number of reasons. This one failed where it penetrated sheet rock on its way to the ice maker. I swear some copper fails because it was installed in the wrong sign of the zodiac. No more for me.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote