Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #1

Share |

Copper pipe re-soldering

I want to extend the lower 2 pipes approx 1 ft and replace this tap with one with standard compression fittings. Can I unsolder and replace the pipes from the lower portion of the Tee without loosening the other joints on that Tee? I guess the other option is to unsolder at the tap and extend down from there or cut a couple inches below the joint but the bend may cause a poor joint.

Martik777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #2

Copper pipe re-soldering

if you dont have experience unsoldering, then I would say to cut the copper a couple inches below the joint and couple on what ever you need

Ltnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

Copper pipe re-soldering

It may melt the solder but it should be ok..you may melt it again when you add the new lines.. Just depends on your skills. I've done it many times
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #4

Copper pipe re-soldering

Thanks! I have done a fair bit of soldering. I plan to clean the new pipe, apply flux and insert into the bottom of the TEE while hot, then apply solder. I don't think I can easily clean the bottom of the Tee beforehand. Also, applying vise grips on the other 2 joints off the Tee may reduce chance of them loosening when I unsolder the bottom joint?

Last edited by Martik777; 11-23-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Martik777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #5

Copper pipe re-soldering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martik777 View Post
Thanks! I have done a fair bit of soldering. I plan to clean the new pipe, apply flux and insert into the bottom of the TEE while hot, then apply solder. I don't think I can easily clean the bottom of the Tee beforehand. Also, applying vise grips on the other 2 joints off the Tee may reduce chance of them loosening when I unsolder the bottom joint?
Your tee is already to go. Do like you plan but don't put the vise grips on. Use a small hot flame and don't over heat. remove all the combustionables around the fittings so you don't have to worry about burning down the house. If the tees move some, reapply heat and reposition. Of course you want to make sure the water is removed from the pipes. A slow drip can make your job tough. Nothing worse then steam when your soldering.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #6

Copper pipe re-soldering

agreed, put something up around your plastic, you'll melt that in a heartbeat. You won't need to clean the bottom of your tee if you can keep the solder "wet" when you push in the new pipe. good luck and make sure you have NO water in that system.

immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote