Copper Pipe From China - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

copper pipe from china

we are replacing our copper pipes due to leaks. We were told, by our plumber , we have copper pipe from china. Is there any recourse for recovering some of the cost ? Are there any class action law suits ?

Advertisement

Diane Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

copper pipe from china

I haven't heard of any issues with copper coming from China. Drywall?, now that's a different story-it's been stated that the drywall (from China) can actually corrode copper piping and cause leaks. I don't know of anything wrong with copper coming from China, other than the fact that most would rather it be USA made for obvious reasons.

Advertisement

Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

copper pipe from china

Who would you go to/sue for satisfaction? - God or China? - You would have show there was something wrong. It is like trying to sue God after tripping on a church sidewalk after someone said it was an "Act of God".

Ultimately, whoever bought, stored, supplied and installed the materials is the "target" and is responsible for it.China makes materials for all countries and cannot keep up with local standards that change frequently. The installer/contractor could become a part of a class action, but would have to go after a distributor or importer, since China does not sell anything in the U.S. and just manufactures to buyers standards. - China is just a country that has huge economy and modern manufacturing capacity, but refuses to export a car depite being one of the 2 largest auto manufacturers in the world, since their demand exceeds the production capacity.

Maybe your plumber can give you help other than an opinion to replace everything, since he may have seen something similar and know the solution other that just doing more work.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,354

copper pipe from china

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Barnhart View Post
we are replacing our copper pipes due to leaks. We were told, by our plumber , we have copper pipe from china. Is there any recourse for recovering some of the cost ? Are there any class action law suits ?
How ling has this copper pipe been in place? Where are the leaks occurring? If it is under a concrete slab, was it installed correctly? What is the acidic status of your water supply?

All of these questions can determine the useful life of copper pipe.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

copper pipe from china

Copper from China? Well....unless it's not thick enough, I can't see how being from China would be a problem. It seems to be a fad right now to blame China for everything....like rjniles said....lot of variables....

I would be inclined to think that maybe the plumber is using the "China" excuse to sell you a complete re-pipe job. Any leaks I had with my copper pipe was due to ME....I didn't sweat the joint right. I don't have that problem now.....I learned from my mistakes...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote