DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Copper Has Anti-Microbial Properties?

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  nanuk 
#1 ·
I've read that copper kills bacteria. Does this make copper pipe better than other materials for homes?

#6 · (Edited)
Wow, the uninformed chiding the uninformed. Resistance to little bugs and creatures is exactly one of coppers strengths. I have a bunch of copper pipe laying about a moss covered hell-hole on my property. No moss, molde etc on those pipes, unlike the plastic pipes stored next to it.
http://www.copper.org/antimicrobial/homepage.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_properties_of_copper

That is why copper is used in some PT wood. That doesn't make it a suitable medium for treating domestic water. Domestic water is best supplied by pure sources and chemical treatments. Copper is primarily used in domestic water systems because of resistance to corrosion, strength and fire rating.

#5 ·
I suspect a different application for copper is being construed as also working for copper pipes.

A mixture of copper and 'other' materials are used in pressure treated wood.....i.e., Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA-C), Alkaline Copper Quat (ACQ-C, ACQ-D, ACQ-D Carbonate), Micronized Copper Quat (MCQ), Copper Azole (CA-B & CA-C, μCA-C)....etc, etc.....the above 'mixtures' pertty much kill anything that goes into the wood.

As an FYI...wood rot is caused by little bugs....real little little bugs.....

#7 ·
Copper is an excellent material choice for home plumbing systems as it offers long-lasting high quality performance. Copper is also an intrinsically antimicrobial material. Mankind has taken advantage of copper’s antimicrobial benefits for thousands of years. Numerous studies have been published in peer-reviewed scientific journals proving this. Copper alloy touch surfaces are registered with the Environmental Protection Agency as materials that kill certain disease-causing bacteria. They can be used for handrails, door hardware, counter tops, and other touch surfaces where cross-contamination is a concern. However, the benefits are limited to touch surfaces. Antimicrobial claims cannot be made for copper tube in plumbing systems, there is no evidence that the water circulating inside the tube will be disinfected.

Anyone interested in learning more about this property of copper should visit AntimicrobialCopper.com.

#13 ·
I did all my water lines in silver. Bactria is not a problem. Plastic is cheap an easy. I will not use it for water lines. Add the right water filter.
I'm yanking out my copper pipes and putting in Lead pipes.....I hear the lead blocks radon and xrays making the water safer to drink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.