Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Convert Mark 89 from Aquasensor to timed regeneration?

I have a 21 year old Culligan Mark 89. Have replaced seal packs twice, aqua-sensor once. All regeneration stages, flow rates are normal, however, the Aqua-Sensor feature seems to have failed (no automatic regens- water again soft after manual regen). The unit requires pushing a red button on the timer plate before starting manual regeneration.

I'd like to alter the circuit board, and set up timed regens every 2 or 3 days, using the 6 day wheel on the timer plate. Others have reported Culligan techs doing this in the past. Does anyone know the procedure? I assume it'd be disconnecting the aquasensor, and overriding/bypassing that red button, somehow. Hard to find any circuit info online pre-1994.

Any ideas about an easy/cheap method to determine if the unit ran a regen cycle in the middle of the night or not?

Thanks in advance,
Bo

BoinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Sounds like the simplest would be to find a timer assembly from either the 89 or 812 that is a 6 day clock and change them out.
I know that in the early 90's Culligan had the resin guard system that I have removed and turned them into a simple softener.
Have not done the removal of the aquasenor , but it can be done.
Having a photo of the valve and the wiring would most likely show me how that can be done.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #3

Thanks, Akpsdvan - you appear to be the go-to online guru for softeners; you've already helped me in the past!

To clarify, I have the 6 day wheel in place (black asterisk)Name:  timer-resize.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  88.5 KB The red button (white asterisk) must be pressed before a manual recharge can be initiated with AquaSensor in place. Generally, the metal "ears" on the day wheel are pulled out to manually set regeneration frequency, however, with AquaSensor, "all six of these must be pushed in for a recharge to actually occur," per manual. I tried doing 3/6 recharge by pulling every other ear, and no regenerations occurred (no salt use).

Here's a circuit board label: Name:  CB label-resize.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  95.0 KB
Here's the red button: Name:  switch-resize.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  89.1 KB This is a simple momentary continuity switch (usually open).
The circuit board itself: Name:  CB comps-resize.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  96.3 KB
And connector close-up: Name:  connector end-on--resize.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  87.0 KB
Searching the web for the numbers on the board yields nothing. The violet/white leads from the CB connect to a spring switch behind the timer plate, the spring apparently engaging a slot in a plastic cylinder behind (connected to) the salt dial. (?)

I am wondering if I could disconnect the sensor leads (or not) and just jumper across the red button switch, then pull the timer ears, to schedule every 2 or 3 day recharges. But I hate to blindly experiment and fry the CB.

BTW, I "invented" a mickey mouse "monitor" to tell if the unit ran overnight:Name:  monitor-resize.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  92.8 KB - if the nut falls off, it ran!

Appreciate your thoughts/help

Bo
Old 05-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Looks to be a gutting of the wires to and from the sensor and its board... and turning the timer assembly back into the base form...
I have a timer assembly with a black plug where the red button is at.. but I have removed the wires from it... but I could go and get one out of my pile of valves that still has the wires in place to do a photo of what we should end up with when it is all done.
Check your other post for a pm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
BoinLV (05-12-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #5

Thanks, again. I located a wiring diagram online: Convert Mark 89 from Aquasensor to timed regeneration?-mark_89_wiring_diagram-75-.jpg

I assume the method may be to disconnect the 120VAC power to the aqua-sensor circuit board, but one concern is the circuit board output to the Timer Program Switch (via the orange to black wires). There are no voltages listed, and I can't find a diagram of the circuit board anywhere. Probably 120V?

Bo
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Water Treatment

I have gone over the wiring and removed the sensor and board and the wires for it, then tied together the black from the timer program switch to the black timer homing switch black.

Unhooking the top micro switch on the timer board.
Attached Thumbnails
Convert Mark 89 from Aquasensor to timed regeneration?-mark_89_wiring_without_sensor.jpg  

Last edited by Akpsdvan; 05-13-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Many thanks to you, and Howard!

Blessings,

Bo