Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #1

Share |

Convert To Gas Appliances

I currently have only the furnace using natural gas. The line comes in up the furnace then it's stepped down to a smaller pipe. I would like to convert my stove, dryer and hot water heater to natural gas. I am not sure how to tap into this line to do it. I mean I know how to wrench the pipe and put pipe dope on and turn it and what not ... and the gas guy with the utility said they would inspect the line...so if I do the tests and they inspect it I think it will be safe to do this work myself. It really is an easy job but scary as all hell...kinda like the first time you knock a hole in your wall for something I guess.

So what type of union/splitter should I use at this junction? I figure on putting shut offs in the line as well...I will have the pipe cut to length and threaded...so I basically need some knowledge about splitting the pipe and downsizing where appropriate.

The two pictures are of what's there from different orientations.
Attached Thumbnails
Convert To Gas Appliances-2dsc_4081.jpg   Convert To Gas Appliances-2dsc_4093.jpg  

Typ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #2

You can't just start adding pipe to what you have. First, you need to assess and size all pipe, both existing and future, as a system. Chances are that with the new load your existing pipe won't be large enough. Then, you'll have to look up approved practices for installing gas in your area: pipe type, fittings, locations, testing requirements etc. There's a lot of information you need, much more than can be included in a response here. You're going to have to do some research.

Oh, and I immediately noticed a code violation in your pictures. I don't know where you're located, but street elbows are against the Canadian Gas Code.

hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #3

Loose wire-nut connections sitting wide open and taped to the gas pipe.... I think it could only be worse if that splice was onto an extension cord.

Benny is right, you can't just add pipe where you want. You did mention the incoming pipe is larger than the furnace feed so you likely can add something, but how many appliances and how far away has to be calculated.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
I currently have only the furnace using natural gas. The line comes in up the furnace then it's stepped down to a smaller pipe. I would like to convert my stove, dryer and hot water heater to natural gas. I am not sure how to tap into this line to do it. I mean I know how to wrench the pipe and put pipe dope on and turn it and what not ... and the gas guy with the utility said they would inspect the line...so if I do the tests and they inspect it I think it will be safe to do this work myself. It really is an easy job but scary as all hell...kinda like the first time you knock a hole in your wall for something I guess.

So what type of union/splitter should I use at this junction? I figure on putting shut offs in the line as well...I will have the pipe cut to length and threaded...so I basically need some knowledge about splitting the pipe and downsizing where appropriate.

The two pictures are of what's there from different orientations.
From the pics it looks as if you have a 1" supply line and the previous plumber even left you with a T that's plugged rather than an ell. Smart plumber. Remove the plug and start piping from that T and when you get to within 2-3 ft. from the appliance change over to flex tubing for appliances with your shut off valves in the appropriate locations. Get started, winter is just around the corner.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I wondered that about the electric too...looks kinda crazy to me. I figure they were grounding it but on the gas line? I'll have to change that of course when I do the work.

I will be getting specifics about everything...measurements and pipe diameters and then I will come back and post the plan. Thank you again for the assistance.
Typ0 is offline   Reply With Quote