Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Still going...

Share |

Convert bedroom into a bathroom?

Hello!

Started brainstorming on trying to convert a bedroom into a bathroom. The existing bathroom is on the other side of bedroom at bottom of sketch and it's size is better suited for a closet.

The house has a unique design in that all the bedrooms are on the first floor. Above the bedroom to be converted is a loft. Because of this there are no walls above the room on two sides. The third wall is an exterior wall. In my design the shower utilizes the existing closet just deepened. The space for the toilet is the current entry to bedroom. The entire space below is a conditioned basement. The closest I can put a vent would be in the area marked. Can you put a toilet this far away from a vent provided the flow of waste is going to go directly to the septic line outside the opposite direction of the vent? All drains will most likely tee into this line as it runs to exterior wall. Tub will have to have a vent of its own, in the exterior wall.

This is an existing home so the bigger question is this going to require too much demolition? Not sure if code will allow AAV? See attached scale sketch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY.pdf (28.0 KB, 221 views)

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

AAV's are hit and miss. My interpretation of the code is that they are not equivalent to an actual VTR, but some inspectors do allow them. Ours does not. There is ALWAYS a way to get a vent out.

You have a loft above? Which way then, are the ceiling joists running in reference to the diagram you posted?

As per the toilet vent for a 3" trap arm, the maximum distance is 6 feet, measured from the inside of the fitting where the vent tees in, to the top surface of the closet flange.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Still going...

This may help here is an early photo with drawing update to orient based on beam location in photo. I have already removed the door immediately beneath and to the right of the beam location. Original plan was to make this a large walk-in closet.

Ceiling and floor joist run left-right in drawing and end of joist is red box in photo. In my limited experience the vent is always been run straight above toilet. So any variation is new territory.

The house has IP joists, can you run the vent underneath along the subfloor to the wall and run the drain below the joists, or does vent have to tie in above the closet flange?
Attached Thumbnails
Convert bedroom into a bathroom?-beam-location.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY2.pdf (28.1 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 04-16-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Doing it myself

the vent has to go minimum of 6" above flood level rim before offsetting horizontally. I'm confused on why you can't run it up into the floor system above and then go horizontal with it to hit a wall.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Still going...

This house was stick built by the owner who appears to have not used an architect or plans of any type. There is no guarantee this space even exists. Currently there is a return vent that utilizes the spaces in-between the studs without metal vents in the wall that you are referring to. This may keep it from being "in wall." The ceiling joists run so I would need to cut a hole in each one to run in the "potential" space. Basement has IP joists.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Doing it myself

So what i'm saying is vent in the wall behind the toilet, then run it horizontally in the ceiling joists to the exterior wall, and then up through roof.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So what i'm saying is vent in the wall behind the toilet, then run it horizontally in the ceiling joists to the exterior wall, and then up through roof.
OK, That's easy, will need to remove wall in the loft, so just have to decide to cross this point of no return. Will need to verify direction of joists. IP joist in basement run that direction but I cannot guarantee the joists in the ceiling run the same direction, when they should. This house is a trip!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawktah View Post
OK, That's easy, will need to remove wall in the loft, so just have to decide to cross this point of no return. Will need to verify direction of joists. IP joist in basement run that direction but I cannot guarantee the joists in the ceiling run the same direction, when they should. This house is a trip!
The ceiling joists SHOULD run whichever direction is the shortest. It makes for a sturdier floor system.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The ceiling joists SHOULD run whichever direction is the shortest. It makes for a sturdier floor system.
Normally that would be true. This house was stick built without plans and by someone who was not a carpenter, from what I understand. Look what I found in the wall that is at the bottom of my drawing. That what the red square in post #3 points to!
Attached Thumbnails
Convert bedroom into a bathroom?-img_2169.jpg   Convert bedroom into a bathroom?-img_2161.jpg  

Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Doing it myself

How about the other wall? Beam on top of that one too? You can get a vent around a corner... kinda tricky... but you might have to... either that or build another 2x4 wall in front of that one, or build a soffit somewhere in order to get that vent into the ceiling.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #11

Yeah with that span I kinda figured that wall could be supporting the floor above
The wall with the doors might have made more sense, but not with all those vents

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote