Convert Bathtub Faucet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Convert Bathtub Faucet

I'm doing some planning for a future project and hoping I can get find the info I'm looking for...

Currently we have a bathroom with a cast iron tub with plumbing for only a bathtub spout - no shower. Set up is Hot handle on Left, Spout in middle, Cold hanlde on right. The plan is to gut the entire bathroom, fix the plumbing to add a shower, remove the cast iron tub and replace with a fiberglass tub with a surround for a shower. Trying to find a resource on precisely how I would update the plumbing to run a pipe up for the shower. Just not having much luck finding anything. Perhaps a basic plumbing book is all I need.

House was built in '56 and we have 1/2" galvanized supply piping. My thought is I shouldn't have to mess with the drain/waste piping unless I find something f'd up after I remove the tub.

Appreciate any guidance on this one.

Advertisement

Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Convert Bathtub Faucet

Just look for a shower/tub faucet unit you like, a single handle unit, my preferences are Delta, Kohler, but there are other good ones. Avoid cheapies. Since you are gutting, installation is simplified, just follow manufacturers directions for proper depth to new finshed walls. The tub connection comes out of the bottom of the valve assy, the shower out of the top, supply to the two sides. The shower leg is usually just above the tile or surround top, but generally at about 6 1/2-7'. Tub spout is about 6" below the valve body. Reconsider getting a fiberglass tub, they don't look good for long and are generally not durable. You may have to remove the old trap(old cast bell traps clog easily, nearly impossible to clean) on th drain, and modify slightly, the connection lengths, but usually nothing dramatic.

There are some fairly good DIY books for projects like yours at home and book stores, pick one up.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Convert Bathtub Faucet

I don't want to scare you but I think that once you open up the wall to start the replumbing you are going to have or should replace more piping that you think, so be prepared for that, take you time and you will conquer the job.

Just keep in mind that it will not be a 1 dayer, so you have to have a place to shower if that is a priority.

I found some basic install instructions for a moen that may be helpful.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/b...hower/moen.htm

Mark
Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Convert Bathtub Faucet

Appreciate info. Planning plenty of time for entire project and we have spare shower/ toilet so that's no issue. No issue with cast iron trap - it was replaced with PVC about a year ago. In fact, all accessible waste piping in basement was replaced with PVC so the only potential issues there would be the short sections from drain to PVC. I'm prepared for anything on though. I assume I'll use 1/2" copper and do sweat connections to the galvanized. For my supply. Its going to take me some time to get it all squared away but Im confident i could do it and I plan to have everything inspected.
Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote