DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Contractors license question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/contractors-license-question-2900/)

SUB-ZERO 06-29-2006 01:11 PM

Contractors license question
 
Hi, everyone
I have been working with my father in law for 2 years now in the plumbing trade and wanted to know how to get my contractors license. The problem is that my father in lw is not a plumbing contractor and can't sign for application process. Is ther a different way i can get the license. Thanks:)

joasis 06-29-2006 04:54 PM

You work for an unlicensed plumber? And now you want to get experience verified for taking the test? How does your FIL get away with this? You must have a very lax code enforcment in your area. If you were here, that answer would be go to work for a contractor for 2 years and get the journeyman license.

manhattan42 06-29-2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO
Hi, everyone
I have been working with my father in law for 2 years now in the plumbing trade and wanted to know how to get my contractors license. The problem is that my father in lw is not a plumbing contractor and can't sign for application process. Is ther a different way i can get the license. Thanks:)

The only proper answer will be given by your code licensing authorities.

Your state or province may have state issued plumbing licenses, municipal issued plumbing licenses or no licenses required at all.

If you list a state and municipality we might be able to determine just what requirements there are in your jurisidction regarding how to get licensed as a plumber.

Better still is to call your local code enforcement office and have them advise you.

In my state, licensing is done strictly at the municipal level although mandatory statewide building codes are in effect.

SUB-ZERO 06-30-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattan42
The only proper answer will be given by your code licensing authorities.

Your state or province may have state issued plumbing licenses, municipal issued plumbing licenses or no licenses required at all.

If you list a state and municipality we might be able to determine just what requirements there are in your jurisidction regarding how to get licensed as a plumber.

Better still is to call your local code enforcement office and have them advise you.

In my state, licensing is done strictly at the municipal level although mandatory statewide building codes are in effect.




I live in Los Angeles CA ,Thanks

Ron The Plumber 07-01-2006 08:03 PM

Ca has a Construction Contractors Board you need to apply through and then you will need to take the plumbng exam test, for what I know about it there.

manhattan42 07-01-2006 08:24 PM

California Contractors Board:

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/studyguides/c-36.asp

SUB-ZERO 07-02-2006 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattan42
California Contractors Board:

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/studyguides/c-36.asp



I think i probably explained myself wrong. You see, when you submit your application to the CSLB you must provide a contrtactors name and license number. They use this to verify that you have work in the field for minimum of 5 years.Without a contractors name and license number you can't proceed with the exam according to the state of california. I don't have a contractor to sign for me and so that is why i was asking if there was a different way that i can obtain the license. Thanks

SUB-ZERO 07-02-2006 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joasis
You work for an unlicensed plumber? And now you want to get experience verified for taking the test? How does your FIL get away with this? You must have a very lax code enforcment in your area. If you were here, that answer would be go to work for a contractor for 2 years and get the journeyman license.


My FIL has a city permit and works for management companies and is limited to his work because the lack of a contractors license. if he needs a contractor in order to complete a job then he contacts one. It is rare that he completes jobs that require a contractor. He stays away from them because he is to busy with other tasks from the management companies.

my FIL has been doing rooting and pipework plumbing for 16 years and recongnizes that he should have gotten this along time ago. I quit my regular job to learn this trade and would like to get a little more serious about it because i feel i can make a good living. Thanks for all help.

Ron The Plumber 07-02-2006 06:30 PM

I don't think you will find any plumbing contractor that will sign on the line to verify your time, I know I would not, you will need to work under a licensed contractor for 5 years or how ever long it takes where your at, before you can do what your wanting to do.

manhattan42 07-03-2006 07:19 AM

If I undertsand correctly, California also issues 'handyman' licenses which allows one to do repair and small jobs without the necessity of having to obtained specialized licensing.

If the scope of your work would involve residential repairs, you might be able to secure a license like this without much difficulty.

I agree with Ron the Plumber that you will otherwise need to follow the proper licensing proceedures if you intend to become a full time specialized plumber.

You likley could not get insurance without the plumber's license.

Wouldn't want an unlicensed and uninsured 'plumber' work on my properties.

If you really want to be a plumber, then do things right by either going to school or finding a legitimate plumber who you can work for for a period of time and then can vouch for you in securing the testing and licensing.

Good Luck.

SUB-ZERO 07-07-2006 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattan42
If I undertsand correctly, California also issues 'handyman' licenses which allows one to do repair and small jobs without the necessity of having to obtained specialized licensing.

If the scope of your work would involve residential repairs, you might be able to secure a license like this without much difficulty.

I agree with Ron the Plumber that you will otherwise need to follow the proper licensing proceedures if you intend to become a full time specialized plumber.

You likley could not get insurance without the plumber's license.

Wouldn't want an unlicensed and uninsured 'plumber' work on my properties.

If you really want to be a plumber, then do things right by either going to school or finding a legitimate plumber who you can work for for a period of time and then can vouch for you in securing the testing and licensing.

Good Luck.

Representative from CSLB called me today and after a 15 minute conversation she said that who told me that a contractor needed to sign for me because she said it was not true. She said that anyone who can verify a minimum of four year working for him is able to sign for my state exam. She said that the state only requires the person applying for the license to have at least 4 years experience in the trade they are trying to get licensed for. What do you guys think?

manhattan42 07-07-2006 07:39 AM

Who are we to argue with the California Constractor's Licensing Board?:)

If they will allow you to sit for the test with your FIL's affidavit that you have worked for him for 4 years, then go for it and good luck!

Ron The Plumber 07-07-2006 08:14 AM

If your FIL, (that you only have worked for, for 2 years), can't sign for you who will then?

SUB-ZERO 07-09-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber
If your FIL, (that you only have worked for, for 2 years), can't sign for you who will then?

Then i guess i have to let him know that i need to work for someone with a contrators and can no longer work for him in the mean while. After i get my contractors license then i we can resume our plan.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved