Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #1

Share |

constant running sound in house, can't locate, please help!

There has been a constant running sound in my house, I can pretty much hear it from everywhere when it's relatively quiet.. Initially I thought it was raining outside or the neighbor was watering their lawn, but turns out nothing's happening outside, the sound is from inside the house. It sounds like water constantly dripping on something, but I am not entirely sure it's water... I've looked at the water meter and it's not moving at all, so does that mean there is no leak? The water pressure seems fine too. I've also tried to turn off the main electricity switch, and the sound is still there. What else could it be? I just don't want it to become a big problem if I can take care of it now. Or at least find out it where the sound comes from so I can sleep. Now I'm not even sure who to call... Could anyone help? Thanks a lot

yangyan616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #2

Check the water meter a few hours later with no water usage, unless there is a little spinner that rotates withthe slightest usage of ater.

Dripping or running?

Maybe you have a leak slow enough to take a day to show up on the meter but fast enough to rot away the area where it is.

You might be able to find it more easily using a stethoscope. Probe around several walls and floors and ceilings.

I would think that a plumber could find it.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-18-2011 at 11:18 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #3

Thank you AllenJ! It's more like dripping instead of running. My water meter does have a little spinner but it's not spinning while I hear the sound. stethoscope is a good idea. I'll try that first... Will call a plumber if I can't find it with a stethoscope. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Check the water meter a few hours later with no water usage, unless there is a little spinner that rotates withthe slightest usage of ater.

Dripping or running?

Maybe you have a leak slow enough to take a day to show up on the meter but fast enough to rot away the area where it is.

You might be able to find it more easily using a stethoscope. Probe around several walls and floors and ceilings.

I would think that a plumber could find it.
yangyan616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
constant running sound