Connection Of Water Intake Pipes To Shower Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Connection of Water Intake Pipes to Shower Valve

I am installing a Moen 3570 valve (http://www.moen.com/m-pact/moentrol-...ONSUMER%3A3570) in a bathroom.

The existing hot / cold 1/2" copper pipes are running vertically out of the floor, only around 7" apart. That means that if I use 2 90degree FTG Elbows (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...52H/100348183), I will be barely able to fit the valve in, without any modifications.

The documentation for 3570 is silent on whether this is allowed. However, other documentations on the Moen's site suggest the water pipes coming out of the floor should be running parallel, 12"-18" apart. So, both the hot and cold pipes would need a 3"-5" horizontal pipe (from a 90degree elbow) before entering the valve.

I hope this is clear. Naturally, I would prefer the easier solution, if it does not cause noise / pressure / other problems.

Any insight on this project would be appreciated.

Advertisement

KevinAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Offset your vertical supply risers with 45's to get whatever spread you desire for your valve rough in.
Ream the pipe after cutting to cut down on turbulance

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Offset your vertical supply risers with 45's to get whatever spread you desire for your valve rough in.
Ream the pipe after cutting to cut down on turbulance
Thank you. I actually have enough clearance to connect a pair of street 90 degree elbows to the valve and do not "need" to get more distance. The question really is whether I "should" do it (i.e. any benefit to it)?! If I get more distance between the risers and the valves, then I need a small hortizontal pipe between the 90 elbow and the valve intake.

Thanks
KevinAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote