DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Connecting Water Filter Housing to CPVC

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  the_man 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm looking to connect an Aquapure AP102T whole house water filter to my 3/4" CPVC line. The filter housing is plastic with 3/4" female threads on the inlet/outlet ports. My question involves the fittings used to make the connection. (See attached MSPAINT diagram)

My goal is to have the ability to remove the filter housing from the system without cutting the CPVC. It's been suggested to me that in almost every case, brass unions are superior to their CPVC counterparts. Can I use a brass transition union (as illustrated) to make the connection to the PLASTIC housing? Taking into account that this is a cold line, are there any consequences to this approach? Metal threads mating with plastic threads? I'd rather not be stuck using CPVC male adapters and then having to cut the line if a repair/replacement of the filter housing is needed. I really want a union there for easy disassembly! Comments or suggestions?

Also, what method do you suggest for sealing the threads? Telfon tape or pipe dope? I started using Oatey Great White pipe joint compound about two weeks ago and I don't want to put the stuff down! It's approved for most metal types and PVC/CPVC pipe, so I don't really see the need to use telfon tape anymore... Am I wrong?

See less See more
#4 ·
I started using Oatey Great White pipe joint compound about two weeks ago and I don't want to put the stuff down!
Hopefully we won't see you on that new TLC show... "My Strange Addiction" :laughing:

#8 ·
i've been dealing with this problem on a job for a week or two. plastic housing and bushings with a brass pex adapter. it split the plastic bushing twice now (luckily not the housing) even though they were basically hand tight. I'm going back tomorrow to install sch 80 PVC close nipple and a brass female adapter cause i'm tired of it :laughing:. so all i can say is be careful and don't over tighten if you do it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.