Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Connecting pvc and metal pipe

Backstory: I installed a dishwasher recently where one was not present before. I had to replace the tailpiece between the sink and trap with a tailpiece that had the connection for the dishwasher drain. The old tailpiece was metal and I wanted to replace it with pvc since I heard that it is easier to work with. Everything seems to work except for a small leak where the top of the pvc tailpiece meets the metal sink strainer basket. I have tried teflon tape and tightening down the pvc nut hand tight, but it still leaks. I think I may have tightened it down too much since now the nut slips off before it gets too tight.

My question, is it ok to connect a pvc nut to metal male threads or will this continue to leak?

Thank you.
FrFtr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #2

Sure you could use a plastic nut to the metal strainer
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

[quote=FrFtr28;220033]Backstory: I installed a dishwasher recently where one was not present before. I had to replace the tailpiece between the sink and trap with a tailpiece that had the connection for the dishwasher drain. The old tailpiece was metal and I wanted to replace it with pvc since I heard that it is easier to work with. Everything seems to work except for a small leak where the top of the pvc tailpiece meets the metal sink strainer basket. I have tried teflon tape and tightening down the pvc nut hand tight, but it still leaks. I think I may have tightened it down too much since now the nut slips off before it gets too tight.

My question, is it ok to connect a pvc nut to metal male threads or will this continue to leak?

There is supposed to be a plastic washer (called a tail piece washer) between the tail piece and the drain basket. Install a new washer and replace the commpression nut (plastic or metal is not a problem).
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #4

[quote=rjniles;220045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrFtr28 View Post
Backstory: I installed a dishwasher recently where one was not present before. I had to replace the tailpiece between the sink and trap with a tailpiece that had the connection for the dishwasher drain. The old tailpiece was metal and I wanted to replace it with pvc since I heard that it is easier to work with. Everything seems to work except for a small leak where the top of the pvc tailpiece meets the metal sink strainer basket. I have tried teflon tape and tightening down the pvc nut hand tight, but it still leaks. I think I may have tightened it down too much since now the nut slips off before it gets too tight.

There is supposed to be a plastic washer (called a tail piece washer) between the tail piece and the drain basket. Install a new washer and replace the commpression nut (plastic or metal is not a problem).
I think I stripped the threads on the first nut so I went and got a new kit (tailpiece, washer and nut) and installed that with the same results. Would putting silicone on help any? I figure my options are: replace the pvc with a metal tailpiece, replace the strainer basket. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #5

When you tighten the tail piece to the strainer, do you have any exposed threads on the strainer? You may be bottoming out the threads before the tail piece is tight. Also clean the threads of the strainer with a small wire brush. Did you install the washer with the flat side to the strainer?
You should not need any sealer on the connection.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
When you tighten the tail piece to the strainer, do you have any exposed threads on the strainer? You may be bottoming out the threads before the tail piece is tight. Also clean the threads of the strainer with a small wire brush. Did you install the washer with the flat side to the strainer?
You should not need any sealer on the connection.
Yes, there are exposed threads on the strainer when the tailpiece is tight. I will clean the threads of the strainer tonight after work. I installed the washer flat side to the strainer and the insert side down into the tailpiece, if that makes sense.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #7

Yes, you have it installed correcly. You may be trying to force the new tail piece to mate with the stainer and trap. You may have to loosen the trap connecton(s), waste arm... to square the tail piece to the strainer, then retighten. If this is old plumbing, do yourself a favor and replace it all.

Good luck
Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Yes, you have it installed correcly. You may be trying to force the new tail piece to mate with the stainer and trap. You may have to loosen the trap connecton(s), waste arm... to square the tail piece to the strainer, then retighten. If this is old plumbing, do yourself a favor and replace it all.

Good luck
The original plan was to just replace everything, the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the strainer. Should I just replace that too, or is that something that is a job in itself? I will try everything you suggested tonight when I get home.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #9

The hardest part is removing the old one. If you need to replace it, clean the threads and use some penetrating oil. Also when you buy the strainer get a small container of plumbers putty.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #10

One last question. What does it mean when I tighten down the pvc nut onto the metal threads and it pops off before it gets tight enough.

Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #11

The plastic nut is stripped, that is why it pops off, you need a new nut. If I am understanding correctly, the tailpiece you bought connects directly to the strainer. If this is the case then the nut was made on to the tail piece and you will have to get a new tailpiece.
jporter5333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter5333 View Post
The plastic nut is stripped, that is why it pops off, you need a new nut. If I am understanding correctly, the tailpiece you bought connects directly to the strainer. If this is the case then the nut was made on to the tail piece and you will have to get a new tailpiece.
Agree with jporter, you'll need a new tail piece/nut/washer. Clean the threads of the strainer before putting the new one on.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #13

Apparently I have stripped two nuts, then. I think I will go with the metal tailpiece, that way I can tighten the connection alot more.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #14

Install a new washer and replace the nut. would be a good idea to get it checkd by a plumber to be sure what the matter is.

_________
Door Knobs
kanneii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #15

doesn't he just need a flanged tailpiece, and not the washer?
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote