Connecting Old Tub... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Connecting old tub...

We're in the process of re-connecting an old tub in our upstairs bathroom (and installing a sink), and I just wanted to post some of the progress to get some input, answers to questions and, to make sure I'm not making a ton more work for myself than I need to or screwing something up along the way that could be fixed now.

You can see the tub, in process at:
http://www.brianandheather.info/house/bath.html

A few questions I have:

1) Should I do anything to the drain or the area under the drain to help protect the rusting iron before putting in the new fixtures? We don't want to go through the expense of having the whole tub re-enameled, but if it would help to touch up these areas, I would rather do that now. What would I use to protect those areas if I do??

2) I'm putting in some supporting braces every 16" to support the new sub-floor that will go in (see the second to last picture with the braces in). This area is going to be a closet, so it won't have lots of load on the floor (other than where people will stand, right by the drain & supply lines, but I wanted to make sure the sub-floor was stable. I need to put holes in the braces to run the drain and supply pipes through.

Should I put the holes in the braces where I have them marked on the board in the last picture at the bottom? Is that the best way to do it? I'm thinking I'll have to slide the pipe into the supports and then put the whole unit into the space, yes?

3) You can see where the sub-floor is cut out to the side to run the plumbing for the sink. Will I need to put extra supports between the studs where the sub-floor will go across, or will the sub-floor be strong enough that it won't need the extra support? The sub-floor is the thickness of 2 3/4" pieces of plywood and one piece of 1/8", which is what I'm planning to use to replace this. We're thinking we'll just put new vinyl tiles down over all this...

I think those are the only questions, but if anyone sees anything that looks like it will be trouble down the road, PLEASE let me know!!

Thanks!!

Advertisement

flashpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Connecting old tub...

1) is this area visible from the top of the tub area?

2)Was this a bathroom prior to this work?

3)what photo represents where the sink will go?

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Connecting old tub...

Not sure what you mean by #1. Are you asking if the exposed sub-floor area will be visible from the tub?

I put up a new image that shows the new layout of the bathroom (the light grey lines show fixtures that aren't in yet) and indicates where the current floor is exposed (the red lines are where the sub-floor is pulled up. I'm going to run the plumbing for the toilet and shower down the other wall, but that's for another post.

2) Yes, this was a bathroom and the tub is in the same position it was in the old bathroom. I'm running the pipes where the old ones were, but I had to pull up the sub-floor to get the old pipes out and thought I should put the braces in to support the new sub-floor so it's sturdy. Not sure if I need to run more braces across to where the sink will go in, or not.

3) The lower right photo (with the new supports) sort of shows where the sub-floor is pulled up along the side towards where the sink will go. You can see it in the new image better.

Hope that makes it clearer.
flashpipe is offline   Reply With Quote