Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #1

Share |

Connecting gas dryer?

I'm trying to connect a gas dryer to a yellow, builder installed flexible fuel line. The flexible fuel line has a split washer inside a female connector. How far down on the flexible fuel line should I place the washer? Am I suppose to wrap this fitting with Teflon tape. I was told I didn't have to, but something doesn't seem right. Am I missing another washer?

Thanks,
Kelly

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Plumbing Contractor

Connecting gas dryer?

Hey Kelly:

Good for you!! Sounds like you have a corrugated flexible gas line there...not a flexible gas line connector.

There are a few kinds of yellow corrugated flexible gas lines...but if I'm right...you should not be messing with these at all.

The split washer design could belong to wardflex or gastite or a couple other manufacturers. Click on this links to investigate further...

http://www.wardflex.com/assembly.htm

http://www.gastite.com/include/langu...IGuide2008.pdf

I have never heard of any split washer type flexible connectors that a homeowner can use....I say you call a licensed plumber to check this out..something's wrong here!!!

Most flexi. gas connectors that are used by homeowners simply connect using FLARED FITTINGS that thread into the threads of pipe and stove..then you simply tighten fittings (using two wrenches or pliers).

TEFLON TAPE is not allowed on gas...PERIOD!!

Check out the sites...let me know if I am close..or if I missed this one by a mile!!

Boston Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #3

Connecting gas dryer?

I bet that BP has this one in the bag.

If it is Wardflex, GasTite, or TracPipe corrugated stainless steel tubing (all with a yellow PVC jacket), you're dealing with something only a plumber can work with. You can't even buy the pipe or fittings unless you're a licensed installer. It is one thing that just isn't a DIY product...The manufacturers protect their installers.

Can you post a picture of what you've got? We can tell you for sure that way.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #4

Connecting gas dryer?

It was Wardflex. Thanks for the link. I had the washer on backwards. Duh. Everything is fine now. No leaks. No explosions. Thanks guys.
kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote