Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Share |

Connecting CPVC to toilet or sink

does it matter?

What does the second do that makes it better, if it is?

digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #2

Choose the first one.
Do not conceal a fitting that relies on a rubber washer to seal it. The gasket will fail just like they do in a garden hose

Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Choose the first one.
Do not conceal a fitting that relies on a rubber washer to seal it. The gasket will fail just like they do in a garden hose
Why would the gasket fail? A garden hose gasket fails because hoses are connected and disconnected multiple times. A water line to a toilet never gets disconnected. I've never had one fail in 40 years of owning houses.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Why would the gasket fail? A garden hose gasket fails because hoses are connected and disconnected multiple times. A water line to a toilet never gets disconnected. I've never had one fail in 40 years of owning houses.
IMO-There is no reason to use a gasket connection when you can simply glue CPVC. To take it a step furthur, I wouldn't even use CPVC
I have seen multiple dialectic unions and flex connectors on water heaters that leak at the gasket- they never get disconnected either. Why trust a strip of rubber over a solvent weld joint?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #5

I have never seen a direct solvent-welded connection to a toilet. And every toilet tank I've ever seen has had a threaded male water inlet. So there's going to be at least one gasket no matter what.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber

IMO-There is no reason to use a gasket connection when you can simply glue CPVC. To take it a step furthur, I wouldn't even use CPVC
I have seen multiple dialectic unions and flex connectors on water heaters that leak at the gasket- they never get disconnected either. Why trust a strip of rubber over a solvent weld joint?
Why not?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I have never seen a direct solvent-welded connection to a toilet. And every toilet tank I've ever seen has had a threaded male water inlet. So there's going to be at least one gasket no matter what.
I assumed the OP wanted to conceal the fitting inside a wall for a sink or toilet stub out- again, I would not. To take it a step further- I doubt my inspector would let me

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Why not?
why not what, use CPVC? Nobody in my area uses it. Plumbers here tried it and we had too many problems with joints failing for various reasons so we moved on to other pipe products- other choices we prefer are pex and copper.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:

I assumed the OP wanted to conceal the fitting inside a wall for a sink or toilet stub out- again, I would not. To take it a step further- I doubt my inspector would let me

why not what, use CPVC? Nobody in my area uses it. Plumbers here tried it and we had too many problems with joints failing for various reasons so we moved on to other pipe products- other choices we prefer are pex and copper.
Thanks, but from what I have read, the reason you sight to not use it, also occurs in pex and copper, right? I'm in Houston Texas.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, but from what I have read, the reason you sight to not use it, also occurs in pex and copper, right? I'm in Houston Texas.
I haven't used CPVC in several years and I know the product has improved. But we had problems with fittings failing well into our warranty period- happened more then once and to more then one contractor. So you can see why I'm gun shy. It could have been installer error or product issues. If your area uses it a lot then I'd suggest you stay with it.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:

I haven't used CPVC in several years and I know the product has improved. But we had problems with fittings failing well into our warranty period- happened more then once and to more then one contractor. So you can see why I'm gun shy. It could have been installer error or product issues. If your area uses it a lot then I'd suggest you stay with it.
So if I understand you correctly, your decision not to use cpvc is solely based on the joints, correct?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #11

Quote:
So if I understand you correctly, your decision not to use cpvc is solely based on the joints, correct?
I just found this file. I skimmed over it and I think it addresses my concerns with CPVC. Bear in mind that I was first exposed to the product 10 yrs-or so ago. I'm sure it has improved or it wouldn't be in production today. However, whats the saying? -- once bitten, twice shy......

http://www.cpcplastics.com/pvc_plast...rt_package.pdf

Last edited by TheEplumber; 10-31-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: forgot the link...
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
digitalplumber (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
Home Remodeler

Used CPVC when I added a new bathroom, 15 years ago. Not one problem so far.

mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote