Connect Meter For Temporary Water To Trailer - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Connect Meter For Temporary Water To Trailer

Hi everyone.

I just bought some raw land and next week the water company will be coming out to install a water meter. I plan to setup a travel trailer so that I can stay there temporarily while I save up some more money to get the project rolling and then live there while the house is being built.. I'd like to set it up so that it can provide water to my trailer and then with minimal effort be moved to the permanent location when the plumbing layout is designed. The total run will be about 250 feet, give or take. Also, the land is outside of city limits so there is no code.

So for my questions:

1) Being that it is temporary, is it necessary for me to bury the water supply line right now? I live in Hunt County, TX (near Dallas) so freezing is a rare thing. And even if it did freeze it wouldn't last long. If the water froze in the pipe, would it damage anything permanently or just cause an inconvenience for me due to having no water until it thaws? I of course would bury it when the permanent location is chosen.

2) I'm planning to use poly tubing. The manager at the water company suggested 3/4". Is that large enough diameter for 250 feet? And what PSI is recommended? I would prefer to spend a little more now if needed, to avoid future maintenance costs.

3) What should I run the water meter to in order supply my trailer temporarily? Should I setup an outdoor spigot, (like for water hoses) and then just connect the water hose to the travel trailer? That seems easiest to me. So then I could just setup the spigot in another location later for my yard.

I have more questions about connecting to the water meter, but I'll save that for later.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Last edited by TheGriff; 09-07-2012 at 12:27 AM.
TheGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 660

It would be best if you spent some time to figure out exactly where on the lot your going to build the house before doing anything.
That way you can place the trailer out of the way of all the equipment, trucks and where your going to have materails delivered and not be driving over your water line.

Why not have them install the meter in an underground box near where there tapping into the main?

I would bury the line, very good chance if it freezes it could crack the pipe or fittings.
Run the line to a yard Hydrant that way it's not going to freeze, you would have an easy way to use the water at the house or the trailer.
You can buy a pressure reducer that screws right on the hose at any travel trailer store.
If you do use a hose from the hydrant to the trailer buy a white one at a camping supply. Reason being is for taste. White hoses have no odor or taste.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Maybe consider the following:

- have the meter installed at the curb stop (property line)
- dig in a 1" water line to supply the yard hydrant mentioned by joecaption, use this to supply your trailer
- install a 1" x 1" x 3/4" tee in the line and a 3/4" stop and waste curbstop for the supply when you build your home.
- in this way, you've got the yard hydrant that won't freeze there for future use (fire protection, irrigation, car washing) and a much shorter distance to dig to to 3/4" curbstop to service your home when it's built.

- if the guy from the water department suggested a 3/4" line, then that'll probably be sufficient. It'll depend on the system pressure at your lot.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 660

Personaly I would go with 250 PSI 1" poly not the 3/4" for that length.
Only a few dollars more for the pipe and would guarrenty you would have enough flow.
If you find out later there's not enough flow your back to square one.
No matter what the pressure is if there's not enough CFM of flow your going to get slow flow of water out of the taps.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

He's probably suggesting 3/4" because you're wanting to do a temporary line to a travel trailer, which would probably operate just fine off of a 1/2" line IMO.

If you decide to bury it now, 1" would be a better idea, but depending on the size of your house, it could be possible that you need a larger line.

Back to the temporary : If you decide to go that route, I wouldn't worry about burying it, except that the issue you WILL have is that the sun will be beating on it like a garden hose, and your cold water will be hot for a bit when you first turn it on. The other thing I would do if this hasn't changed your mind would be to mark it with orange tape or something so that it isn't getting driven on during construction or having crap thrown on top of it "I didn't see it"
Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #6

Ok, so based on the replies, I've concluded that 1" 250 PSI poly tubing connected to a hydrant is the best choice. I didn't mention to the guy at the water company that it would be a 250 ft run so perhaps that's why he suggested 3/4".

As for burying it, there are 2 different opinions so I'm split. Firstly, is it possible to install the hydrant without burying the line? If it froze what parts would freeze? Would it crack the actual tubing? If just the fittings then maybe replacing those isn't so bad. But if it damages the meter in some way, then that's not good for sure. I see that the hydrants drain the water out after use. Would that not prevent the tubing from freezing?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Doing it myself

If you're talking frost free hydrants, those only drain themselves out, not the piping connected to them, so yes, the tubing that it's attached to could still freeze.

I'm still voting for the idea to run the line permanently underground at least to where you're planning on having the hydrant, and then continuing it the remainder of the way when needed.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If you're talking frost free hydrants, those only drain themselves out, not the piping connected to them, so yes, the tubing that it's attached to could still freeze.

I'm still voting for the idea to run the line permanently underground at least to where you're planning on having the hydrant, and then continuing it the remainder of the way when needed.

I must have misunderstood your earlier post:

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about burying it, except that the issue you WILL have is that the sun will be beating on it like a garden hose, and your cold water will be hot for a bit when you first turn it on.
If I didn't bury it, I could run it through the very thick trees which my trailer will be right next to. I don't think the sun would beam on it much at all.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriff View Post
I must have misunderstood your earlier post:

If I didn't bury it, I could run it through the very thick trees which my trailer will be right next to. I don't think the sun would beam on it much at all.
You took it slightly out of context when you quoted it, because I was referencing the temporary waterline option.

Quote:
Back to the temporary : If you decide to go that route, I wouldn't worry about burying it,
If you're just going to go temporary, why spend the extra money on a 1" line? Why spend the extra money on 250PSI line? Get something cheap 3/4" will be pleny to run a travel trailer.

But again, I still vote for a permanent line buried up to your garden valve/bibb connection for the travel trailer.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #10

Quote:
If you're just going to go temporary, why spend the extra money on a 1" line? Why spend the extra money on 250PSI line? Get something cheap 3/4" will be pleny to run a travel trailer.

But again, I still vote for a permanent line buried up to your garden valve/bibb connection for the travel trailer.
Well, I guess I should say that I want it to be semi-permanent. By that I mean that I want to placement to be temporary, but I would like the material I buy to be used for the temporary and the permanent structure. I would put the hydrant as close as possible to where I guess the house will be, but then move it to where it needs to be when I know exactly where everything will be.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Doing it myself

With a 250psi 1" poly you're probably going to have to stake the darn thing down to keep it from coiling back up unless you put it into a ditch.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,222

Quote:

This is exactly what I did when we were living in our RV while building our house. It offers an unconsidered advantage: water from the hydrant for watering the lawn and garden doesn't go through my water softener.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote