Confusing Situation - Pressure Test - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Confusing Situation - Pressure Test

Every year, same time, one day a year the city performs what I believe to be a pressure test on the sewage system. As a result, every year, same time, one day a year this causes my first floor half bath toilet to spray water and the laundry room floor drain to smell of sewer gas. This branch is for my 1/2 bath, laundry tub and laundry floor drain.

Here is my question, why wouldn't the air from the pressure test simply bypass all my fixtures and exhaust out my main stack? I assume I have no blockages, all my fixtures drain with no issue. Could they be pushing so much air that my vents are to small. fyi - the sewage easement runs down the side of my lot.

I must be missing something.

Advertisement

ferris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Confusing Situation - Pressure Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris13 View Post
Every year, same time, one day a year the city performs what I believe to be a pressure test on the sewage system. As a result, every year, same time, one day a year this causes my first floor half bath toilet to spray water and the laundry room floor drain to smell of sewer gas. This branch is for my 1/2 bath, laundry tub and laundry floor drain.

Here is my question, why wouldn't the air from the pressure test simply bypass all my fixtures and exhaust out my main stack? I assume I have no blockages, all my fixtures drain with no issue. Could they be pushing so much air that my vents are to small. fyi - the sewage easement runs down the side of my lot.

I must be missing something.
It wouldn't be a pressure test. The city is most likely doing routine maintenance. Running a high pressure jetter down the city main. When the jetter head comes by your lateral, the pressure is stong enough to force the water in the bowl of your toilet to splash, and after going by it sucks the water from the trap in the floor drain. I would either install a backflow valve in your lateral or simply make sure you keep the lid down on the toilet when city maintenance is scheduled. Likewise, just add a couple cups of water to the dry trap when they're finished to prevent sewer gases from escaping into your home.

Advertisement

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LateralConcepts For This Useful Post:
ferris13 (03-12-2012)