Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

Share |

Confused! Water Pressure

I was checking my water pressure before going and buying an expansion tank. I put my gauge on my washing machine line because my outside faucets are on a different water source (well). It first read 40 psi, then my wife and daughter were taking a shower in each of the bathrooms. I checked the gauge again and it was up to 70 psi. Both showers are now off and it is reading 80 psi. I have a pressure regulator on my line, should I turn it down. What is my true water pressure?

mmoore58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #2

Confused! Water Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore58 View Post
I was checking my water pressure before going and buying an expansion tank. I put my gauge on my washing machine line because my outside faucets are on a different water source (well). It first read 40 psi, then my wife and daughter were taking a shower in each of the bathrooms. I checked the gauge again and it was up to 70 psi. Both showers are now off and it is reading 80 psi. I have a pressure regulator on my line, should I turn it down. What is my true water pressure?
I'm thinking 40 lbs was a bad read. Check a few more times at different times of the day. Maximum setting should be 80lbs. and it will fluctuate some.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Confused! Water Pressure

I am assuming you have city water, not a well. City water is generally about 55 or 60 psi. With a pressure regulator, the pressure you read should be the rating of the regulator, which would normally be set at about 60 psi, but can be changed. Either the regulator is broken, or the gage is not accurate, because there is no way the pressure should vary so much with a regulator on the line.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
mmoore58 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #4

Confused! Water Pressure

I've had the gauge on for a few hours now with no water running and it is at a steady 53 psi. I was going to crawl under the house and try to increase to 60 psi. I know the last time I adjusted the regulator it was almost as far as it would go. Just was trying to get a good pressure reading so I could go buy the proper expansion tank. Since I have a closed system, water is still periodically coming out of my PRV on my 66 gallon water heater. Just wanting to make sure I buy the right size. The local Home Depot sells the DET-5 and DET-12 Watts brand.
mmoore58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Confused! Water Pressure

Perhaps one of the plumbers on this forum can comment, but I do not believe the size of the pressure tank is related to the house pressure. I believe they are sized based on total demand, and on the size of the hot water heater. I believe this is the case for city water.

I am on well water, and I have a pressure tank which is rated in gallons of water. When I replaced my old pressure tank, necessary because the bladder had collapsed, the plumbing shop did not indicate that the house pressure was significant at all. In the case of a well system like mine, a larger tank allows the pump to rest more between pumping events. Perhaps someone on city water can comment on the required size of an expansion tank without the complication of fluctuating well pressure.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #6

Confused! Water Pressure

Try this sizing tool
http://www.watts.com/pages/support/sizing_DET.asp

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote