Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Confused With Bathtub/Shower Valve Install:please help

Hi

This is the Taymor Bathtub and shower Faucet

http://www.taymor.ca/commerce.web/ca...catID=852#c891

Here are the Instructions

http://www.taymor.ca/Commerce.Web/Ca...%20install.pdf

Here's my Problem,I was going to frame the wall with 2x4's but reading those instrutions I won't have the Depth to properly support it from the back or sides.

Do I frame the Wall with 2x6's are am I just reading the instrutions wrong and 2x4's are fine for the job.

Any help would be great on this

This is a $180.00 Faucet and I don't want to mess this up

Thanks

K.M.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Remodeler

You should have enough depth behind the valve body to put in 1.5" thick blocking behind it. Instructions say the centerline of the valve should be 2.125"-3" from the finished wall surface. You're finished wall surface will be greater than 1/2" (1/2" drywall or backer board, plus whatever tile or shower wall surface you put on top of that). So subtracting at least 1/2" from the finished wall surface, and you'll get a valve centerline that is at most 1.675-2.5" into the 3.5" deep wall cavity (assuming you use 2x4s). That leaves you more than 2" of space behind the valve centerline. I assume from the valve centerline to the back of the valve body is probably about 3/4" (judging from the diagram). So it appears like you should be able to get 1.5" deep blocking back there. If not that thick, you should DEFINITELY be able to get 3/4" thick blocking behind it.

adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpanko View Post
You should have enough depth behind the valve body to put in 1.5" thick blocking behind it. Instructions say the center line of the valve should be 2.125"-3" from the finished wall surface. You're finished wall surface will be greater than 1/2" (1/2" drywall or backer board, plus whatever tile or shower wall surface you put on top of that). So subtracting at least 1/2" from the finished wall surface, and you'll get a valve center line that is at most 1.675-2.5" into the 3.5" deep wall cavity (assuming you use 2x4s). That leaves you more than 2" of space behind the valve center line. I assume from the valve center line to the back of the valve body is probably about 3/4" (judging from the diagram). So it appears like you should be able to get 1.5" deep blocking back there. If not that thick, you should DEFINITELY be able to get 3/4" thick blocking behind it.
WOW Thank you

I'm building the wall tomorrow,thanks for the info and detail

Do you think it's better to have a bigger backing plate then that 3/4" for Valve body.

2x6's...

2x4's where planned all along,but that valve body is hugh and thought the 2x6's where a better choice.

But you know a lot about this...

again thank you for the all info
K.M.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Remodeler

The thicker and larger the backer/brace, the better it is because it obviously provides more heft to attach the valve and/or pipes to. I can say for certain that 1.5" thick wood will fit behind your wall without seeing everything firsthand, but it appears that should work, even if your walls use 2x4 studs.

If you have room to give up an additional 2" of floor space, then use 2x6 instead of 2x4 when framing the wall to give yourself piece of mind that you'll undoubtedly have enough space. But if you pay close attention to the size of everything before hand, I think you'll see that you can use 2x4 for studs.

Good luck!
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote