Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

Share |

Condo Sprinkler System Inspection

How are sprinkler systems in Condominium projects inspected annualy?

I am the Pres of a Condo Association and was wondering how this process is done and an guesstimate to cost?

Old 08-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #2

In many locations the Fire Dept does the inspections. Call your City Hall and ask if the FD or Building Inspector will do it.

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyalAcresRod For This Useful Post:
digitalplumber (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

I don't know about the whole system, but the backflow device is tested and certified by a licensed tester. a simple testing call around here is $35-$50 - takes a few minutes to an hour.
Each device needs to be tested annually and is usually recorded with the governing dept. in your area.
Sometimes they even notify you it's time for testing and will shut off your water system if not completed in a timely manor.
You can probably call your water dept. to get listed companies that perform the test or if you have a yardcare company under contract- talk to them.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I don't know about the whole system, but the backflow device is tested and certified by a licensed tester. a simple testing call around here is $35-$50 - takes a few minutes to an hour.
Each device needs to be tested annually and is usually recorded with the governing dept. in your area.
Sometimes they even notify you it's time for testing and will shut off your water system if not completed in a timely manor.
You can probably call your water dept. to get listed companies that perform the test or if you have a yardcare company under contract- talk to them.
Our last billing was $3200 for 16 buildings! Guess I need to check with someone!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

This may be another instance where there is great disparity in cost depending on where you are and who does it. $200/building does not sound totally out of line to me where I am. Dorothy occasionally clicks her heals to remind me I am not in Kansas or Idaho anymore!

Obviously you should shop around if you can. If it is a City or Fire Department fee of some kind, or part of it is and the inspector must pay it on your behalf, I suspect you are stuck with it.

Still cheaper than a fire, by the way!

Last edited by user1007; 08-10-2013 at 05:45 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

By the way, I think we might be commenting on two types of sprinklers here? You mentioned 16 buildings so I assumed you meant your fire system sprinklers and not the landscape sprinkler backflow valves?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
This may be another instance where there is great disparity in cost depending on where you are and who does it. $200/building does not sound totally out of line to me where I am. Dorothy occasionally clicks her heals to remind me I am not in Kansas or Idaho anymore!

Obviously you should shop around if you can. If it is a City or Fire Department fee of some kind, or part of it is and the inspector must pay it on your behalf, I suspect you are stuck with it.

Still cheaper than a fire, by the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
By the way, I think we might be commenting on two types of sprinklers here? You mentioned 16 buildings so I assumed you meant your fire system sprinklers and not the landscape sprinkler backflow valves?
Small Texas town, College Station Texas but not small enough for high rates. Yes we are talking about building fire sprinklers, not landscape.

No it was not the city of fire department, private company.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Small Texas town, College Station Texas but not small enough for high rates. Yes we are talking about building fire sprinklers, not landscape.

No it was not the city of fire department, private company.
Ah, ignore my ballpark numbers then..... I was talking sprinklers as in irrigation.

If your invoice came from a fire protection company then maybe call some others to get quotes- but the price you said may not be out of line
Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

Check with local fire protection companies. Some only do commercial work, some only residential, some both. Ask for the inspections person or department.
The Following User Says Thank You to vsheetz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber

Our last billing was $3200 for 16 buildings! Guess I need to check with someone!
That's reasonable for annually and 16 buildings your not going to get much less then that IMO.
And certain back flow preventers need quarterly inspections. Don't forget the system needs to be pressurized, drain and then pressurized again.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
That's reasonable for annually and 16 buildings your not going to get much less then that IMO.
And certain back flow preventers need quarterly inspections. Don't forget the system needs to be pressurized, drain and then pressurized again.

Thanks actually we did. They quoted us $1200 for annual sprinkler, 692 for the fire alarm and 86 a moth for monitoring.

I think we were getting screwed by our management company who has the bills come to them then they produce a receipt.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber

Thanks actually we did. They quoted us $1200 for annual sprinkler, 692 for the fire alarm and 86 a moth for monitoring.

I think we were getting screwed by our management company who has the bills come to them then they produce a receipt.

Thanks
It's too bad your not in my area, the fire sprinkler company I work for could probably be able to give a better quote.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Master Plumber

Fire systems depending on the the size and complexity may require multiple tests, usually performed buy certified contractors, records kept and filed ,16 buildings 3200 seems fair, depending on what the 3200 consisted of.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote