DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   compression valve metal to plastic (

gtothek 11-01-2011 07:03 PM

compression valve metal to plastic
1 Attachment(s)
i'm putting in a new vanity, and was thinking about changing the compression valves for the sink. Please see attached seems the shut offs are metal to this normal? what would I have buy to change them? I didn't think i could attach metal to plastic (pvc?)

Idmason60 11-02-2011 05:35 AM

Unless you have received poor service from the exiting shut off valves, I would replace with the same. I have used both and have found good things and bad about both types.
The all metal type look solid but if you have hard water, they can seize up from corrosion and leak around the corroded stems.
The plastic or nylon stem ones won't corrode up and usually work fine except I have seen the stems break off. I am not sure if they break from over tightening or if made from bad materials, but in that case I was able to simply unscrew the stem nut and just replace the stem instead of replacing the whole valve.

Good luck with your project.

oh'mike 11-02-2011 06:02 AM

I didn't know that could be done Either----The plastic pipe isn't allowed here in northern Illinois so I can't give you an answer--

I like the 1/4 turn ball valve shut offs--so I understand wanting to get rid of the old ones---Mike--

gtothek 11-02-2011 07:49 AM

I'm in NJ but have no clue what the code is. But is this normal, metal to plastic? The current valve has green crud built up on them, and I wanted to replace them with the 1/4 turn shut off. Is there anything special I need to do to connect metal to plastic??? Glue it? I obviously can't solder it on

oh'mike 11-03-2011 07:08 AM

I do know that the plastic 3/8" water feed lines use a nylon compression ring instead of the usual brass---

bob22 11-03-2011 08:56 AM

let sleeping dogs lie.

Alan 11-03-2011 09:06 AM

I HAVE seen that before, and frankly, I don't like the idea of it. I'm not sure whether or not they are intended to be used that way, you could probably email brasscraft to find out. One would assume that on plastic piping you would have to use some kind of an insert on the piping to ensure that the compressive strength of the fitting and ferrule doesn't cause a crack.

Whether or not yours has an insert, who knows. Sharkbite makes a 1/4 turn angle stop that you could just slam on there quick if you had to.

The other option is to cut that one off, and thread a cpvc male adapter into an IPS angle stop and glue it on after it's tightened down.

gtothek 11-03-2011 10:05 AM


Originally Posted by bob22 (Post 762906)
let sleeping dogs lie.

thats's probably what I going to do, if it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

Alan, thanks for your advice, but I'm a novice and this seems complex to me. I'm just going to leave it as is, unless it breaks

AlbacoreShuffle 11-03-2011 03:35 PM

Shark bite
1 Attachment(s)
So easy a caveman can do it !

ben's plumbing 11-03-2011 07:46 PM

you could shut off water and install 2-new brasscraft washers and packing along with faucet lube....good to go...and brass craft makes new valves that can replace existing valves leaving the locking rings and nuts on plastic pipe?????? they would be 1/4 turn ball valves...

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1