Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Compression Valve for leaky pipe (not copper)?

Hi all,

The angle shut-off valve behind my toilet is leaking. The body of the valve is soldered onto the pipe, which is made of galvanized metal/iron. There is almost 5 inches of pipe between the end of the old valve and the wall. I wanted to know if I could cut/saw the pipe where the old valve is and replace it with a compression valve.

The problem (I think) I have is that I can only find instructions on installing a compression valve to copper pipe. All the instructions for iron piping involves threading.

Installing a new compression valve seems so easy, but not sure if I could go this route with the pipe I have. Does anyone know if installing a compression valve on an iron pipe is possible, and if not, why it wouldn't work?
Thanks

DIYsoon2Bpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 14

I would think it would work only if the ferrule fits snug and if corrosion down the road doesn't compromise it. Good luck.

kurtp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is the plumbing in your house copper. If the pipe is soldered, it is not galvanized. The pipe could be chrome plated brass. The usual practice for a toilet supply is a fitting behind the wall in to which a chrome or brass plated pipe is screwed. The valve is then screwed to that pipe.

Before you cut anything, make sure what you are dealing with, the fix could be a lot easier.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 668

pictures.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,396

yes sounds like you have a threaded nipple comming out of wall...don't cut that...post a picture....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #6

Lightbulb

Iron pipe has thicker walls than copper, so the outside diameter of 1/2" iron pipe is significantly larger than the outside diameter of 1/2" copper tube. Manufacturers take all this into account when they tell you on the package that something is sized for 1/2" copper or 1/2" FIP (Female Iron Pipe) etc. Sorry to say, but I have personally never seen a compression valve sized to fit the outside diameter of iron pipe, only threaded ones designed for either male or female pipe. It could be that a valve sized for 3/4" copper would fit 1/2" iron, but I can't really recall seeing a 3/4" compression valve either. If you find one, try slipping over a galvanized 1/2" nipple at the store to see.

A better solution would really be to just remove either the valve or if it really won't come off, the entire nipple with the valve on it. You can't solder to galvanized pipe, so my guess is that someone tried to fix the leak previously with something like JB Weld. This actually should chip right off with a screwdriver. If you can't get it all off, then just cut through whatever remains with a razor knife so you have a break in it all the way around. Hold the pipe with one wrench or channel locks, and twist the valve off with another. (Make sure you turn the water off first!) If you can't get the valve off, then unscrew the pipe from the fitting it is threaded into inside the wall. Before you do, mark the pipe where it meets the wall so you know how long of a piece you will need to replace it. Buy a new galvanized nipple, wrap it with teflon tape AND put pipe dope on it, and screw it back into the fitting inside the wall TIGHTLY. Repeat the tape and dope, and put a new angle stop on designed to receive the male pipe. Voila--Easy, peasy lemon squeezy.

Happy to answer questions. Reply here or comment on my site, GirlWithWrench.com. Happy Plumbing!

Live Free, Work Hard
GirlWithWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,152

Never replace that old nipple with a galvininized nipple. Use a chrome plated bronze nipple instead.
Galvinived rust from the inside out and will will plug up over time and get thiner where the threads are and can leak or break off when someone trys to remove it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Never replace that old nipple with a galvininized nipple. Use a chrome plated bronze nipple instead.
Galvinived rust from the inside out and will will plug up over time and get thiner where the threads are and can leak or break off when someone trys to remove it.
Good point, Joe. I've never actually seen a chrome one though, only brass. I didn't realize they made them.
GirlWithWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #9

Before Sanding
Attached Thumbnails
Compression Valve for leaky pipe (not copper)?-dsc00210.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #10

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the info. After reading your comments, and previous forum advice from Just Bill, I sanded the pipe down and exposed the underlying metal.
Is this the chrome plated brass everyone is talking about?

Putting the pictures up was a great idea. I actually could visualize the pipe a lot better myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Compression Valve for leaky pipe (not copper)?-dsc00214.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

that is copper. Replace with compression valve.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,396

you can shut off the water cut pipe remove old escheon install new escheon and 5/8 od x 3/8 od compression angle valve....no soldering...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression valve