DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Commode Flange Not Flush With Floor

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hammerlane 
#1 ·
Went to install a new high flow commode at my daughter and son-in-law's home (circa 1962 build) and when I pulled the old commode I found that the flange is about 1/2"-3/4" abve the floor. The new commode fits and the base does reach the floor, and she does not rock, but I have never seen a flange that is not flush with the floor, is this normal, is there a problem her and if so, what should i do?

#2 ·
I think that is an ongoing debate here, ala Ford v. Chevy, taste's great v. less filling, or Pepsi v. Coke.

I do not know what the consensus is here, flush with the floor, or sitting on top of the floor. Obviously, as you have found, it works when it is raised. The wax ring just gets smushed a little bit more.

BTW, Ford,taste's great,Pepsi.

B

#4 ·
The bottom of the flange should have been in full contact with the finished floor. If not the there's nothing left of the wax then it gets compressed.
Was it PVC or cast pipe?
It really should have had the pipe under the floor cut, reattach the flange tight to the floor and reconnect the pipe with a hubless connector or coupling if it was PVC.

#5 · (Edited)
If the flange is solidly in place and the toilet sits solidly on the floor then the wax ring should seal it properly. The danger of a very close fit is that slight settling of the floor could result in contact followed by cracking of the toilet as the flange and toilet underside start to bear weight.

If the ring needs to compress considerably, then push the toilet down very slowly so the ring does not fissure and fracture possibly leaving part of the flange unprotected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.