Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

commode air locking?

new installation, shower & commode in a barn, shower works just fine, is plumbed after the commode, when I turn on the water cutoff at the commode - if I turn it on all the way I get a sorta bang and the water quits coming in. If I barely turn it on the water will continue to run - but it sure takes a long time to fill the commode tank. Same symptoms regardless if I'm just turning it on or if I flush and wait for the refill. Any ideas? I spent one weekend constantly turning the valve on tiny bit by tiny bit ... and it worked OK on flush 1, (refilled ok without locking) then locked again immediately on flush 2.

mikim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

commode air locking?

Hmmm - Not normal for sure. The problem is in one of two places. The shut-off valve or the fill valve.

To confirm the location of the problem.

Remove the supply line from the bottom of the fill valve. Direct it toward a bucket and turn on the valve. If you get flow and no bang then your problem is the fill valve inside the toilet. If its a new toilet return it for another. Alternatively you can just replace the fill valve for $10-$20.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

commode air locking?

old toilet (old porcelain) new fill valve & flapper --- I'll try the bucket trick...just has me confused as to why the commode would do that and not the shower....both are off the same line in. ie: cold water in to the building to a horiz line from which is plumbed...shower on one end, water heater on other, and commode T'd off in between. It's 3/4 PVC into the building, to 3/4 cpvc, reduced at each POU to 1/2 cpvc. Hot water in/out is 1/2 cpvc. (tankless)
mikim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

commode air locking?

Could be a loose washer in the shut-off. The bucket trick will tell you if its in the shut-off or the fill valve.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote