Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Commerical Building - Install Drain under toilet?

Hi all.. This is a wonderful site you have here. I think it's great. I hope you can help me with a minor plumbing issue.

I just bought a new shop which is actually a VERY OLD shop. It's got a toilet connected to city sewer and it's on a concrete floor, as you would probably expect.

The problem is the ding-dong who was there before installed a sink and put the drain right through the wall, right into the parking lot!

He's like "Hey, I put in a sink for you!" I'm like "swell.. thanks"

Naturally I don't want to use this.. I also hate to break up the floor to install a drain

As it happens, this sink is only about 2 feet from the toilet.. Codes are irrelevant here. It's concrete and c-block. Nothing is going to get water damaged or anything like that.

For the time being.. Is there some kind of adapter or something I can place between the floor and the toilet to drain the sink into?

Thanks!
TransTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #2

You really wouldn't want to do that even if one were available which I don't believe one is. It would introduce air at a critical point in Sir Crapper's marvelous invention, i.e. directly underneath the bowl's mouth. Without the accompaniing sudden change in air pressure at the moment of flush, the intended vacuum-like pull and whirlpool effect produced by the sudden rush of water up and over the bowl's gooseneck will not occur. Ergo, the toilet simply does not work. Water would fill up the bowl, possibly overflow it and then very slowly drain out until the bowl level had been sought. The solid waste would most likely remain in the bowl but the sink itself may actually "flush" as the water in the P-trap gets sucked out and air enters in its place. And, in spite of that P-trap in place, the stench coming up the sink drain would be pronounced.

Last edited by End Grain; 02-24-2008 at 09:39 PM.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #3

Thank you very much for your reply!

Coincidentally, the shop I just left had a rusted drain pipe in the floor I dug up and replaced. (What a PITA) It was basically just inserted through a hole, at an angle, a few inches under the toilet and into the soil pipe then sealed with oakum.

It then came up through the floor and made its way around to the drain and vent.

So, I didn't fool with it, I just replaced it as it had been for years and left it.

If you have a minute: Is this the right way to drain a sink in a situation like this?

What are the rules I should follow.. Because if I end up having to break up part of the floor, I want to do it right the first time.

Last edited by TransTech; 02-24-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #4

Consider this, as bizarre as it will no doubt sound and as Rube Goldberg-ish as it will look. Elevate the toilet up two feet in the air onto a plywood platform and run a waste line from a new closet flange on the plywood floor down and into the existing waste line. Insert it as far as it will go and pack it very tightly as you do not want leaks or seepage. About two inches up from the old concrete floor, insert a pipe at an angle in the new waste line to accomodate the sink's drain. It just may work and it just may save you from tearing up the floor. Then, you can actually say you sit high upon the throne!
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #5

I'll just break the floor.

thanks.