Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Combination washer and dryer

I am looking at ventless combination washer/dryers for my condo. From what they say, all they need are a hot/cold connection and a drain, they install like a dishwasher.

Is this true? Are there any other issues I might run into? Anyone have experience with installing (and running) these ventless combos?

An example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Lockeset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #2

I have installed a few of them with no problems they work pretty well.
They need to be level on a solid floor because they go into a real high spin cycle. When they are finished the final spin cycle the clothes are almost dry, so there is not alot of moisture for the dryer to deal with

just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
I have installed a few of them with no problems they work pretty well.
They need to be level on a solid floor because they go into a real high spin cycle. When they are finished the final spin cycle the clothes are almost dry, so there is not alot of moisture for the dryer to deal with
Thanks for the reply.

So it installs just like a dishwasher?

I already have a dishwasher so I am going to need to try and fit 2 drain adapters in and have to branch the hot water off twice.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
SDC

The LG units have an extra small black hose(drain line for the dryer) that gose to the drain as well. It is very important to keep it from kinking this is how the dryer will vent/drain. I my experience the lint will get stuck in the hose if it has any type of restriction.
I have installed hundreds of these in condos and they are best suited for the working person, put your clothes in the morning and they will be done when you get home. Don't expect to do loads of laundry on the weekend for a family of four.

And no they do not install just like a dishwasher, pretty close though, you need hot and cold water supply for the combo units.

These are the ones I installed, biggest complaint was the dry time....very long.

http://www.lg.com/us/appliances/wash...-WM3987HW.jsp#
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC View Post
The LG units have an extra small black hose(drain line for the dryer) that gose to the drain as well. It is very important to keep it from kinking this is how the dryer will vent/drain. I my experience the lint will get stuck in the hose if it has any type of restriction.
I have installed hundreds of these in condos and they are best suited for the working person, put your clothes in the morning and they will be done when you get home. Don't expect to do loads of laundry on the weekend for a family of four.

And no they do not install just like a dishwasher, pretty close though, you need hot and cold water supply for the combo units.

These are the ones I installed, biggest complaint was the dry time....very long.

http://www.lg.com/us/appliances/wash...-WM3987HW.jsp#
We recently used one of these in a vacation rental and it takes forever for a single load to complete. 6-8 hours in our case. It worked, but you could never expect it to be usable for more than 2 people. And don't skip a scheduled load or you'll have to go to the local laundromat to catch up.
plumbing_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #6

I read some reviews and people said total time for a load was 4-5 hours. That's not too bad since it's a combination unit, if I put the clothes in at night they will be completely done in the morning.

This unit is for my condo in which there will never be more than 2 people.

SDC, if lint gets caught in the hose what will happen? My main concern is the unit leaking since I live on the second floor and have someone below me.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
SDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockeset View Post
SDC, if lint gets caught in the hose what will happen? My main concern is the unit leaking since I live on the second floor and have someone below me.

Thanks for the help!
It will take even longer to dry. This is where the lint and moisture meet up. It is not the drain for the washer. I have not seen a leaking from this, just longer dry times.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #8

I see, makes sense. It might be hard, if not impossible to fit both drain lines from the washer/dryer plus a third line from the dishwasher into the drain under the sink.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
SDC

It will fit, just think it though, take your time and plan it out.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

good luck
philsoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #11

SDC, I was looking around for pictures of the back of the WM3987HW to get a feel for the hose length, I found this: http://www.ventlesslaundrystore.com/...-wm3987hw.aspx

I see one hose, but not the second. Is it possible that this years model doesn't have a second hose? For some reason LG doesn't have a downloadable installation or owners manual for the WM3987HW.

My main concern is the drainage hoses since the unit will have to be placed over 3' away from the sink.