Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cold Water Will Burn Your Hand

You folks were really helpful with my tub spout now here is a crazy one. I'm in south Florida and this only happens during the summer months. When we turn on the cold water faucet in the kitchen sink you cannot put your hand under it for about 30 seconds or you will get scalded, I mean really hot. It's only the kitchen, not either of the two bathrooms, the sink in the garage or the three outside hose connections. I have asked three professional plumbers that have been here for other work and none of them could figure it out. Outside of my kitchen wall is a walkway around the pool that is painted a rust color and is also extremly hot to the touch and one of the plumbers suggested my water line might be under it but the water line comes in from the other side of the house and I don't believe they would have run any from the hot water heater which is in the garage back outside of the confines of the building. All of my piping seems to be in the attic unless I'm missing something.

torakuma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Is it a single lever faucet you have? Sounds like it is defective, so that the hot water is leaking into the "cold". But the professional plumbers would have looked for that, so I am stumped too.

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

OKAY, if it only happens in the summer how are we going to fix it now and know we have fixed it? Or how are we going to troubleshoot it with you? Maybe lets try to tackle it when it warms up?
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

Water pipes in the attic or in a wall on the sunny side of the house can get quite hot.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

If you can get 30 seconds of scalding hot water from a cold water pipe accidentally absorbing heat around it whether from concrete or the attic then WOW.. install a solar water heater or figure out a way to harness that!!
Mrdippy is offline   Reply With Quote