Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

Share |

Cold Water Stopped Working in Kitchen - PLEASE HELP ME!!

I have a brand new kitchen about 6 months old. All new plumbing was put in. Kitchen sink was brand new also.

Temps have been between 35 to 65 degrees the past week.

Everything has worked fine every day for the past six months.

Went out of town for 7 days.

Came home and the cold water does not work in the sink. (The hot water works fine.)

The cold water works everywhere else in the house except for the outside hose which is the closest connection to the kitchen sink.

Nothing has been turned off either on purpose of accidentally.

What could it possibly be??? (I thought it might be frozen??? but it's been pouring rain and 60 degrees for the past couple of days)????

Please help me with some possible ideas.

Thanks!
annadrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #2

is the cold water not working properly or 100% completely off? Both with the inside sink and the outside hose bibb
Call a plumber.

Last edited by Steeler99; 02-25-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #3

If nothing was changed, it's possible the line is clogged with something. Another remote possibility is there was a leak somewhere, and you have a stop leak valve that closes when the flow becomes too great. I've only ever heard of such a valve with an ice maker though. The guy at home depot didn't like them because sometimes they would trip when there wasn't a leak, and then he would have to shut the line off and drain the line to disengage the lock.

I would start where the cold water splits off towards the kitchen sink and make sure all of the valves are open between that split and the sink.

If you've verified all of them are open and you don't have any valves that would engage to stop a leak, then I think you've got a clogged line.
Firemouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

not disagreeing with you firemouth, but what could clog an incoming water line?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #5

I have no clue what could possibly clog it. Other than the reasons listed before (valve closed / leak protection) I can't think of any other possibilities that two outlets would not have any flow.

His supply is good because other outlets are working.

I sincerely doubt it's clogged myself (because like you said, how would it get in there) but what else could prevent the flow if all the valves are open and the house has water (IE his supply isn't shut off). The most likely possibility in my mind is the line is frozen but he said it's been in the 60's so its probably thawed by now.
Firemouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #6

yeah, my first thought was a broken pipe causing a leak somewhere.

Could you verify that by watching the meter with everything turned off? I wonder if it would spin enough to notice it...I've never seen mine, so I don't know.
Did you pay your water bill????

Last edited by Steeler99; 02-25-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #7

If it is a frozen pipe I'm sure you would be able to locate a leak in the basement. Could it be your faucet? Have you verified that both the outside hose bib and kitchen cold are the same line?
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #8

Thank you both for your comments and help. My first thought was a frozen pipe also as it is very close to the outer brick wall. It may have worked perfectly for the past six months through winter as I've used the water in the kitchen sink every day multiple times so it never got a chance to freeze?? Now that I went away for a week and didn't use it regularly it became the first time it had the chance to freeze. It has been warm and raining during the day the past few days and will continue to be warm the next few days (mid to upper 50's) but it still gets chilly each night.

Do you think I might just give it a couple more days before calling a plumber in case it did freeze?? How long should it take to thaw out? It's hard for me to think it got clogged too for the same reasons you have mentioned. I don't think there is a leak either or I would have seen it or started to smell musty wet smell eh?

Thanks again for all your help and if you have any other ideas I will continue to keep checking.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #9

yes Mudman the outside hose and the kitchen sink are for sure on the same line and actually break off the main line right behind the kitchen sink. After checking all the other lines I checked went outside to check the hose just to verify it wasn't the faucet. It was a pricey sink/faucet though so I hoped it wasn't that.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

I'd try to follow the line from the sink/hose bibb split through the basement and see where it goes. If it froze in a 90 degree bend on the outside wall, then potentially it could be leaking outside and you may not know it.

Like I said, I'd try to watch the water meter if you can...see if it's running when everything's turned off...that may give you and indication.

My guess is any freezing would have been thawed given your weather conditions.
OR
You didn't pay your water bill.

Last edited by Steeler99; 02-25-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99 View Post

My guess is any freezing would have been thawed given your weather conditions.
OR
You didn't pay your water bill.
I didn't know the city had that much power to be able to shut off just the cold water to my kitchen sink but let me keep getting water everywhere else in the house....if they do then I think it's best for me to move out of this community pretty quick....
Old 02-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #12

I'm sorry, I had to run to the store...my girlfriend revised my post about the water bill...., I guess she assumed that because you didn't have water, the bill wasn't paid. I apologize
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99 View Post
I'm sorry, I had to run to the store...my girlfriend revised my post about the water bill...., I guess she assumed that because you didn't have water, the bill wasn't paid. I apologize
no worries...thanks for all your help and others help too...
Old 02-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #14

The problem with freezing is that the water expands when frozen and can split the pipe. You wont know until it thaws in areas that aren't visible but you might see a bulge in the line.

I'm not sure if this is good advice so if anyone is a plumber please advise but could you heat the line with a heat gun or even hair dryer where you think it's frozen and watch for leaks. If the line is warm and you still don't have water than freezing might not be the problem.

In which case you'll prob have to drain the house and replace the line. If that's the solution than I would run the new line away from the wall. Weird its not freezing temperatures outside.

If you find out what the problem is be sure to post it! Im really interested as to how a blockage could occur!v
Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #15

If the pipe is fully thawed and there is a leak you would know. Serious water coming out!

I did a bit of googling and clogged pipes do happen. If they are copper pipes I would assume the blockage would be at the elbow. Probably due to too much solder in the joint and mineral deposits building up there. Regardless you would drain the system and cut before the elbow. Hold a bucket up, have someone open the main a tiny bit and verify you have flow before you repair. Good luck

Tags
cold water, help me please, new plumbing, new sink, stopped working