Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #1

Share |

Cold water obstruction

Good day to all. This is my first time on this forum so be easy on me. I am seeking any advice to what seems to be an intricate and frustrating problem. Here it goes:

Problem:

I have good cold water pressure to 3/4's of my house. Now the other 1/4 of my house which runs to my laundry room, an outside hose bib, and my hot water heater have extremely low pressure. Since the cold pressure is low feeding to my hot water heater I have low hot water pressure EVERYWHERE in my house. I am on a slab so crawling under the house trying to trace my lines is not an option.

Possible Theories:

I am almost 99.9% sure that I do not have a leak because my water bill hasnt fluctuated any in the past year or so, in which is how long I have been dealing with the problem.
Might I also add that slightly before this problem occurred I had my main water feed at my meter ( on my side) bust, in which I had repaired. Is it possible that during the time that the main feed was exposed in the ground, it collected debris and is now jammed up at T? If it is clogged how can I unclog it without ripping down walls and jack hammering up floors? Compressed air?
Is it possible that my slab has shifted and is now pinching a portion of the copper line?

I would like to think of myself as a decent troubleshooter, but this one has me stumped. I don't have much experience with plumbing, but am not afraid to endeavor. ANY ANY advice would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

Cold water obstruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-E View Post
I have good cold water pressure to 3/4's of my house. Now the other 1/4 of my house which runs to my laundry room, an outside hose bib, and my hot water heater have extremely low pressure.
If 3/4 of the house has good cold water pressure and 1/4 doesnt, a good place to start would be the tee or junction where the 1/4 of the house is being fed from the "main" cold line.

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #3

Cold water obstruction

Hammerlane thanks for the speedy reply and advice. The problem is I have no idea where to begin. The house is on a slab like I said. I was trying to avoid ripping out drywall, Any other suggestions?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Cold water obstruction

Are you friendly with your neighbors, and how close are they?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Cold water obstruction

Quote:
The problem is I have no idea where to begin.
Let me reiterate:
a good place to start would be the tee or junction where the 1/4 of the house is being fed from the "main" cold line.

Quote:
Any other suggestions?
Absent you being able to locate the junction, suggest to call a plumber.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Cold water obstruction

The answer to your question is Yes, now how do you go about fixing the problem, first i would say the company replacing the line should be held responsible, if thats not an option youll need to find a plumber a well experienced plumber who can start by back flushing the system, again must be someone who has done this before or you'll end up with bigger issues. youll need to find the manifold that handles that branch of the house. again needed will be special equipment to trace and locate the pipes. call get estimates and see what guarantee they will give you on solving your problem, i have removed rocks an debris from water lines after repairs were made and the homeowner ended up with the same problems your having.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

Cold water obstruction

Javiles, thank you for your reply. Like I said in my original post I did have my main line break and sat running in the groundfor 2 days because I was out of town when it happened. So is it possible that debris entered the line then? What measures need to be taken to clear the lines?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #8

Cold water obstruction

Could I turn off the water at the main and try and blow out the lines with compressed air? I'm trying to solve this without calling the plumber because I've already had one come and left scratching his head. I ve read people have solved this problem with compressed air, but would like another opinion.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Master Plumber

Cold water obstruction

Its not that simple youll need to open the main to flush what ever is in the line out, but you need to make sure you don't send it to other parts of the system air will not do the trick must be a combination of water and air, i had one last week the home owners plumber used bread to stop the water while he soldered the bread spread through the system when he turned the water back on took about 4 hours and that was bread, swear this guy must have put a whole loaf in that line, rocks and sand we've been all day on. and again you may need to expose the manifold open it and flush through it, you can try your self you just may get lucky, and this is all assuming debris in the line is the problem.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #10

Cold water obstruction

You say assuming that's the problem, do you have any other suggestions as to what the problem may be if it is not debris? Thank you for all your help
Old 03-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Cold water obstruction

Hi Tim,

Thats where I was going withe the question about the neighbors. Lets assume they are amiable.

1. Turn water off at main.

2. Cut incoming pipe on the house side of the main. Make sure you leave enough pipe to install a T and sill cock. If the pipe will move at this point, move it out of alignment with main, and put a short section of clear hose on it with a hose clamp and run into a clean garbage can. Put a nylon stocking on the end to catch anything that comes out of the pipe.

3. Run a hose from the neighbors house and adapt it to your outdoor spigot. Get a helper and two cell phones, so you can turn off the water fast if needed. open the neighbors spigot and yours and back flush. See what happens. Im thinking you have a clog at a 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducing T somewhere in the system. This may flush it out. Its worth a try, and you don't have to break out any drywall.

Last edited by jagans; 03-04-2013 at 05:43 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
hammerlane (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

Cold water obstruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Hi Tim,

Thats where I was going withe the question about the neighbors. Lets assume they are amiable.

1. Turn water off at main.

2. Cut incoming pipe on the house side of the main. Make sure you leave enough pipe to install a T and sill cock. If the pipe will move at this point, move it out of alignment with main, and put a short section of clear hose on it with a hose clamp and run into a clean garbage can. Put a nylon stocking on the end to catch anything that comes out of the pipe.

3. Run a hose from the neighbors house and adapt it to your outdoor spigot. Get a helper and two cell phones, so you can turn off the water fast if needed. open the neighbors spigot and yours and back flush. See what happens. Im thinking you have a clog at a 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducing T somewhere in the system. This may flush it out. Its worth a try, and you don't have to break out any drywall.
Won't work if the hose bib has a vacuum breaker. Maybe better to go from the water htr. hot line.
Chances are you have a manifold at the base of the heater. Could be concealed in the wall Meh, may have multiple manifolds.....
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #13

Cold water obstruction

Thank you for all your help. I will consider all suggestions. One last thing. . .after a little demo to my laundry room wall, it appears that my hot water heater is at the end of the run. Is this possible? Before the hot water heater (in that same run) is my low pressure house bib and laundry room which is also low pressure. So to clarify, there is a pipe coming out of my laundry room floor, which T's to my washing machine and to the house bib and then onto the hotwater heater, which are all affected areas. I don't know if that helps anyone understand my problem.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #14

Cold water obstruction

Quote:
So to clarify, there is a pipe coming out of my laundry room floor, which T's to my washing machine and to the house bib and then onto the hotwater heater, which are all affected areas. I don't know if that helps anyone understand my problem.
ARe the washing machine, house bib and hotwater heater all supplied from the "tap" of the tee?

If so and all fixtures off the run of the tee are fine, I would suggest there is an obstruction in the tap
Attached Thumbnails
Cold water obstruction-117564_front500.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #15

Cold water obstruction

Still trying to figure out the problem. Thanks for all replies and info. Does anything look abnormal here?One is hot, one is cold. [I believe this may supply the affected areas.

One is hot, one is cold. [I believe this may supply the affected areas.