Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
erb

Share |
Question

Cold water main disconnected

This house has been winterized a few months ago. I don't know why the main from the basement floor is disconnected from the meter.
What is the square nut on the end of the basement floor pipe?
Am I missing a valve handle on that pipe? That looks important.
Can someone tell me what I might need to do to hook this up correctly?
http://wtfisgmail.com/stuff/dsc06959.jpg

Also, in the second picture, the house part of the main is very crooked. It is the black piping so it is not flexible. I'm not so sure about aligning the pipe by force?
http://wtfisgmail.com/stuff/dsc06960.jpg

In the third picture, what is that white (it was white) bandaging around the pipe indicative of?
http://wtfisgmail.com/stuff/dsc06963.jpg

If someone can steer me in the right direction, I can put the pieces of this puzzle together and get this **** goin! THANKS!

*links work

Last edited by erb; 05-13-2010 at 06:53 AM.
erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #2

The system may have been disconnected in this manner so pranksters or others could not easily turn the water back on and then the pipes would freeze and burst.

I actually suggest that campsites have their water connections disconnected in this manner for the winter. The ends of the pipes should be covered to keep bugs out.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #3

The nut is the typical Meter adapter fitting. It is the same as the nut on the opposite end of the meter. The tape may be some attempt to insulate the pipe for condensation. The second picture, I could not tell much from.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #4

Do I see a shadow on the wall in the second picture suggesting that the pipe on the right with the meter attached should be horizontal a little higher up? Will the pipe on the far right wall pull away from the side wall without too much bending so the meter will reach the pipe on the left?

Then the meter is upended to join the two pipes and is rotated to face out .

Meanwhile the pipe on the left is twisted so its valve and the elbow point up.

Or maybe it used to be as I described but the meter did not work properly when upended so in order to make the meter upright the pipes had to be made crooked as shown in the pictures with the pipe on the left pushed away from the foreground wall.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-13-2010 at 08:29 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
erb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
The system may have been disconnected in this manner so pranksters or others could not easily turn the water back on and then the pipes would freeze and burst.

I actually suggest that campsites have their water connections disconnected in this manner for the winter. The ends of the pipes should be covered to keep bugs out.
That makes sense (Detroit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
The nut is the typical Meter adapter fitting. It is the same as the nut on the opposite end of the meter. The tape may be some attempt to insulate the pipe for condensation. The second picture, I could not tell much from.
I now see the nut on the other side. Pretty brainless aside from the meter and pipe from the floor not aligned very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Do I see a shadow on the wall in the second picture suggesting that the pipe on the right with the meter attached should be horizontal a little higher up? Will the pipe on the far right wall pull away from the wall without too much bending so the meter will reach the pipe on the left?

Then the meter is upended to join the two pipes and is rotated to face out .

Meanwhile the pipe on the left is twisted so its valve and the elbow point up.

Or maybe it used to be as I described but the meter did not work properly when upended so in order to make the meter upright the pipes had to be made crooked as shown in the pictures.
If you look at the top of the second pic, there is a steel beam that would barr the pipe from going horizontal. So I would say the pipe isn't supposed to be horizontal.

I'm gonna see if I can't get these pipes to align and hook it up. Hopefully I don't break anything. I'll post back, thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
erb

On second thought, I was just informed that the water company will do this for free. That will be nice to be able to drill someone with questions while they're there especially if something bad happens! Nonetheless, thank you all for the enlightenment! I'll probably be back!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
erb

Well I feel stupid - that was beyond simple... the only thing I was really concerned about was the pipes being misaligned. It fit rather easily to be honest - did it myself. I moved the valve knob turney thing (forget to get one) so I could get the main water flowing just to the meter (if you remeber that was missing on the 'pipe to the left'). BUT nothing happened when I opened the valve. So it is obviously cut off elsewhere... the problem is that it might be several weeks before I can schedule someone! Can I just turn the ****ing water on myself? Any clue where to look? Do I need to jump down a sewer drain? I will if I have to! THANKS!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
DIY staff

Your water is shut off at the 'buffalo' box. It's usually near the side walk--in a direct line from where the pipe enters the house---There is a long 'buffalo box key' needed to turn the water on.

Best to call the city and have them turn the water on---They can get REALLY UGLY if the home owner messes with the buffalo box. They can charge you with stealing water---Big bill. Your meter needs to be checked by the city --and a new seal installed.

Like I said--they do not like homeowners messing with the buffalo box or the meter.--Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
erb

Heh, I live in Detroit, I sure as hell don't give a hoot, I doubt the city does either.
I'm having a hard time picturing a box/valve near the sidewalk.... are they underground or buried or something?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
DIY staff

The cover is a round cast iron thing about 4 inches across----it will have one bolt in the middle--
It covers a section of 2 inch pipe.

The buffalo box key is a 5 foot long piece of re-bar with a T handle welded to the top and a steel piece at the bottom end---Depot sells them---You are an adult--I'm not here to judge--only to wisper a quiet warning.--Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by erb View Post
If you look at the top of the second pic, there is a steel beam that would barr the pipe from going horizontal. So I would say the pipe isn't supposed to be horizontal.!
Hmmm... I don't see any steel beam above the pipe.

In some cities each street shutoff has a key permanently attached and with the handle more or less flush with the ground with no buffalo box around it. Sometimes the handle is slightly depressed and gets covered with dirt or the lawn so it is hard to find.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-13-2010 at 08:08 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
erb

I see now, it is right by the sidewalk, looks like a 4" manhole. The guy had a 6 foot key to turn the valve.
The thing was, it was already turned on.
I needed vice grips to turn the valve in the basement all the way open. Problem solved and no leaks!
Thanks!

-- I also had the meter on backwards - ha!

The Following User Says Thank You to erb For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-15-2010)