Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
broke home owner

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

cold-side-stop

Does anyone know what would make a cold-side stop on a shower/tub combo leak? It's not the handle, it's coming from the mixet valve area. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

broke home owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #2

cold-side-stop

Is the valve leaking through the tub drain/shower head? Or is it leaking from the handle area itself?

Either way, you need to shut off the water and remove the valve stem or cartridge. This is a DIY job and can usually be accomplished with nothing more than a crescent wrench or locking pliers.

Take the old one to a plumbing supply store and get a replacement. Unless there is a greater problem, which I doubt, you should be good to go.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
broke home owner

cold-side-stop

Thank you for replying to me. Here's the deal. I own a condo and the association had the mixet valves replaced in every unit. A week later, my neighbor below me has a leak in her ceiling and we discover it is coming from our unit in the bathroom where they replaced the mixet valve. After removing the trim-plate for the mixet valve, we discovered the water was coming from the cold-side stop. The plumber turned it off and the leak stopped. So my question is, aside from removing the trim-plate and turning the cold-side on, is there anything else that can make it leak? They are trying to charge me $176 for something I don't believe is my fault. (FYI-they've made mistakes on my other bathroom in the past that has caused a leak to the downstairs unit and they tried to say it was my fault then too, but they didn't set the tub when they installed it)
Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #4

cold-side-stop

FYI, they're called mixer or mixing valves.

I think it is pretty obvious that you haven't done anything wrong that would cause a leak into the neighboring unit. The condo association provided the plumber, and the plumbing is leaking a week later. That is no coincedence. They need to re-do the work in your bathroom to repair the leak, and should be held responsible for any water damage to the neighbor.

If you had done the work yourself or made modifications to it, you would have some responsibility here. If you had hired your own plumber, then this would be your problem to deal with. But if they hired and provided the plumber, it is theirs to fix.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #5

cold-side-stop

And to answer your question, no there's nothing other than a poor installation that should cause a wall leak. There's a bad connection in there somewhere, and it isn't something you could have caused from the outside without a hard hit from a hammer!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
broke home owner

Talking

cold-side-stop

Thank you so much for your reply!! You have no idea how much it is appreciated.