Coil Mixing Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Coil mixing valve

I have a four level home wsith three zone valves. I have an oil fired hotwater baseboard heater which supplies the heat in the house and also I have a seperate Oil fired hot water heater to supply hot water for the house. My furnace is equipped with a coil inisde the the furnace to supply hotwater for the house. But was never CONNECTED.. I wanted to link the furnace coil to heat the hot water during winter months as the furnace is runing all the time any way, and when ever I need the hotwater for shower and wash erc. the seperate furnace comes on. I was talking to a plumber, he suggested to me that he need to install a coil mixing valve which is $59.00 and the labour $200.00. I have done a lot of household plumbing myself like installing showers, kitchen and bathroom faucets, cleaning furnaces etc. I have done the complete plumbing at my cottage including installing electric hotwater tank and other plumbings with pex pipes. Do you think, I can handle installing this coil mixing valve myself?

Advertisement

kmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,266

Coil mixing valve

Quote:
Do you think, I can handle installing this coil mixing valve myself?
Ayuh,... Sure,... Why not,..??

You'll also want to add a water volume reducer at the entrance to that coil...

When I switched from electric dhw, to my boiler domestic coil, I just plumbed it straight through 3/4" copper....
The Hot shower lasted a few Seconds...
I added a volume reducer, 'n cut it down to 2.3gpm I think, 'n now the hot showers can last Forever...

The tempering valve you're talkin' about is only a few more solder connections...
I plumbed 1 in because I was told it's Necessary,...
Luckily, I added plenty of extra valving when I did it,...
I've had it by-passed almost from the start,...
I can Temper my own water, at the Faucet.... Don't need that valve cooling it off For me....
But that's just Me, I guess....

This is all without the storage tank,...

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote