Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #1

Share |

Code question

Just spoke with my city plumbing inspector and he told me that you cannot split a 1/2 water line to add another 1/2 fixture and it would have to be at least a 3/4 line.

I called bs and said how come you see every dish washer teed off of 1/2 hot and he answered that he would fail it. I suggested that most of the city would fail and his response was well if it's inside the sink vanity it's ok??

Can someone reference me the Canadian code regarding how many fixtures you can have on a 1/2 line?

My setup is a home run manifold with PEX.

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
Just spoke with my city plumbing inspector and he told me...
(something that I just don't believe to be correct...
but rather than getting into a pizzing match with him I thought I'd ask around for what the actual code and adoptions might be before I go back and finish my discussion with the inspector)

Can someone reference me the Canadian code regarding how many fixtures you can have on a 1/2 line?

My setup is a home run manifold with PEX.
I can't, but I bet one of the Canadians can.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #3

Code question

Your quote nailed it. I'm not a plumber by trade but I've seen this practice commonly used.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #4

Code question

I picked up a copy of the National Plumbing Code of Canada at the library and spent the better part of the evening skimming the entire thing. Cannot find any direct reference regarding tee'ing. Spent even more time reading the installation guides from Wirsbo on manifold installations(home run) and cannot find anything specifically against this either. Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Code question

You can add as many tees on a water line as you want,just dont use more than one fixture fed by a 1/2" supply at the same time!
plummen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #6

Code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen
You can add as many tees on a water line as you want,just dont use more than one fixture fed by a 1/2" supply at the same time!
Is there actually some rule stating that a supply can only feed one fixture?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #7

Code question

Quote:
I picked up a copy of the National Plumbing Code of Canada at the library and spent the better part of the evening skimming the entire thing. Cannot find any direct reference regarding tee'ing. Spent even more time reading the installation guides from Wirsbo on manifold installations(home run) and cannot find anything specifically against this either. Any ideas?
Don't forget that your town or area can amend the code- at least ours do. And the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) usually wins
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-19-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Code question

No rule that im aware of,it just wont have enough volume/pressure to supply 2 fixtures very well at same time.
Watch what your water pressure in your sink does when you flush the toilet next to it if fed on same 1/2" supply
plummen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #9

Code question

N0c7,

I have a copy of the BC code & it talks about hydraulic load when sizing pipes for fixtures. According to my codebook the maximum hydraulic load you can have with 1/2 pipe is 11 fu (fixture units).

Now the example you used T'ing a dishwasher off a kitchen sink works according to my tables in a single family dwelling situation (domestic use) such as yours as the kitchen sink has a fixture unit value of 2 & the dishwasher has value of 3 for a total 5 fu.

That being said, as E Plumber stated, your local codes may be more stringent, or your AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) may be a dink. Who knows?

What exactly are you trying to add to the existing 1/2" line and what else t's off of it?

Looking at a copy of the National Plumbing code only gives you a base. You'll need to find out what the exact requirements are in your area as they are often much more restrictive than the national code.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #10

Code question

Looking to tee off a second sink cold line for an additional sink. Both reduce to 3/8 at the fixture.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #11

Code question

And nothing else is on that 1/2" line? Then you should be ok according to my code, but it may not work in your area.
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #12

Code question

Update - I borrowed the latest copy of the 2010 National Plumbing Code of Canada from the library and read the book through. There is nothing specifically stating you cannot tee potable lines.

I contacted the inspector again and asked where I could contain a copy of the local municipal codes. They do not exist. The inspector said they base their inspections on the national code, manufacturers recommendations, and common sense. They are also still going by the 2005 code.

I questioned the dishwasher comment from above and basically it comes down to that the line is already there so installers can use it as it minimally impacts the sink faucet pressure. In realty the same situation applies to me waiting to tee a line for two fixtures.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #13

Code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
And nothing else is on that 1/2" line? Then you should be ok according to my code, but it may not work in your area.
Nothing else on it. Where can I find a guideline on how to calculate the fixture units? I'm very interested in learning this for future projects.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #14

Code question

Quote:
Nothing else on it. Where can I find a guideline on how to calculate the fixture units? I'm very interested in learning this for future projects.
If the code book you borrowed is like my UPC book, it will have all the info for sizing. Each fixture is sized in a sizing table. You also need to know the water pressure, etc.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-19-2012), plummen (01-19-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #15

Code question

Quote:
National Plumbing Code of Canada, 2005.
2.6.3, Size and Capacity of Pipes, pp2-49 to 2-51 & Division B, Appendix A, pp. A-62 to A-64. There's examples of water pipe distribution sizing on A-65 through A-67 as well.

Last edited by VIPlumber; 01-20-2012 at 11:42 PM.