Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
walt1122
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 217
Rewards Points: 182
Default

code issue? I think!


HI all, have a second floor utility room where we have our washer and dryer located. I have a metal pan the size of the washer and about inch or so high with a 3/4 inch copper pipe allowing water to exit through the bottom BUT it goes nowhere! Just a piece of pipe that terminates in the ceiling of the first floor. Before I start tearing out walls and floors what exactly is the code on this? And I do have a drain for the washer but it isn't readily accessible and the trap is half way up the wall of the utility room.

thanks

Walt

walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,300
Rewards Points: 506
Default

code issue? I think!


First let me say....I'm not a plumber, so take my advice as such...

I don't know of any code dealing with overflow water (gray water), but it's not a good idea to just have it stopping above the ceiling below.

I'd probably try to get it to the nearest drain line. (don't forget the trap...when you get into the sewer system, then it is code...gotta trap it)

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,943
Rewards Points: 2,066
Default

code issue? I think!


If convenient, I'd just run it through an outside wall.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
walt1122
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 217
Rewards Points: 182
Default

code issue? I think!


Thanks guys! I'm thinking it is code for some reason and that is why I'm trying to get clear direction on how to fix. I have lived with this for the last few years as that was how the builder left it. But I too worry about it overflowing and ruining everything below. We never leave the house with the washer running and are careful. However, we are fixing up the house to put on the market and try to sell. I don't want anyone coming back in a year or two with a lawsuit because they did flood the floors below from a washer problem. Or have to tell them of the problem and have them find this a problem just as I do. I know there are electrical devices that attach to the water lines and only open when the washer is on but that is only one of the possible problems that could arise. I looked thought the small hole where the copper pipe drain was but can't get a good feel for what the drain grey water washer pipe does after it disappears behind the wall after the trap.

So if anyone has any additional ideas or further suggestion I welcome them along with what has been suggested already.

thanks

Walt
walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,037
Rewards Points: 2,260
Default

code issue? I think!


Quote:
Originally Posted by walt1122 View Post
Thanks guys! I'm thinking it is code for some reason and that is why I'm trying to get clear direction on how to fix. I have lived with this for the last few years as that was how the builder left it. But I too worry about it overflowing and ruining everything below. We never leave the house with the washer running and are careful. However, we are fixing up the house to put on the market and try to sell. I don't want anyone coming back in a year or two with a lawsuit because they did flood the floors below from a washer problem. Or have to tell them of the problem and have them find this a problem just as I do. I know there are electrical devices that attach to the water lines and only open when the washer is on but that is only one of the possible problems that could arise. I looked thought the small hole where the copper pipe drain was but can't get a good feel for what the drain grey water washer pipe does after it disappears behind the wall after the trap.

So if anyone has any additional ideas or further suggestion I welcome them along with what has been suggested already.

thanks

Walt
Take a look at this thread. It might answer your questions- or raise new ones:
Trap and washing machine safety drain pan
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,322
Rewards Points: 1,188
Default

code issue? I think!


Are you sure it's not running to your basement floor drain or to the exterior of your house?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Master Plumber
 
Javiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 586
Default

code issue? I think!


can not be connected to any part of the homes sanitary system must drain to the out side of the home or dump in to a sink such as a laundry tub/ sink for example, recommend that you run the line to the exterior of the home if possible you can put a unloaded swing valve at the end of the pipe to keep the critters out but will open if need to drain water.
__________________


Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
walt1122
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 217
Rewards Points: 182
Default

code issue? I think!


WOW!!! talk about your pandoras' box. See what you mean Eplumber. So best I can tell is; I should run a flex line of some kind to the outside wall and call it a day! Going to be a tricky proposition no matter what. The washer is smack dab in the middle of the second floor. Not near anything. Best I can try is to get to the hot air chase and run it down and then out. Otherwise I will have to open a whole lotta first floor ceilings to get to where I need to be.

thanks Javiles, ghostmaker it is a pipe 2 feet long that is just below the floor and that's it. goes nowhere. This is just one more thing the builders did wrong before we finally threw them out and took over building the house ourselves. Modular home came 80% done and the builders frigged up everything they were responsible for completing.

thanks again all for all the help.

Walt
walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,300
Rewards Points: 506
Default

code issue? I think!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
can not be connected to any part of the homes sanitary system must drain to the out side of the home or dump in to a sink such as a laundry tub/ sink for example, recommend that you run the line to the exterior of the home if possible you can put a unloaded swing valve at the end of the pipe to keep the critters out but will open if need to drain water.
Other than "it's code", why (in your opinion) is that?

I believe ya, just curious as to the reason.

EDIT: Also other than "because the city doesn't want any more than necessary in their sewer lines"...same reason you can't run rain water into the sewer.

Unless of course, that's the only reason
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
Master Plumber
 
Javiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 586
Default

code issue? I think!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
Other than "it's code", why (in your opinion) is that?

I believe ya, just curious as to the reason.

EDIT: Also other than "because the city doesn't want any more than necessary in their sewer lines"...same reason you can't run rain water into the sewer.

Unless of course, that's the only reason
its not an active drain, meaning if you connected it to your sanitary system it would need to be trapped one to keep the sewer gases out of your home second to keep and critters from coming in mainly roaches. to keep the line sealed it would require fresh water in the trap every couple days,unlike the fixtures in your home when you use your sink tub or lavatory toilet you automatically reseal the traps, the pan would only receive water in case of an over flow or you would have to add water yourself every few days. and in the event of a back up it has no means of being self cleaning.
__________________


Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,300
Rewards Points: 506
Default

code issue? I think!




Now why didn't I think of that? It makes perfect sense now that I hear it outloud (or.....well ya know... "outloud")

Thanks for the info.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
walt1122
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 217
Rewards Points: 182
Default

code issue? I think!


Hi Jproffer, since the water would be coming from a defective washer ( grey water) I figured it shouldn't go to the ground water via an outside emergency drain but rather to the septic system. We can not dump this water outside from the normal operation now so i thought it shouldn't go outside even in an emergency. My bathtub doesn't have a trap that is accessible on some wall anywhere so why would I need on in the wall somewhere as has been suggested as a code requirement on earlier posts. We have a second home where we go for the winter to get out-of-the-snow. I pour vegetable oil down the traps that could dry out over time and allow waste gas to enter house. Longer term I could use honey instead to keep it from oil going rancid if it was an emergency use only drain that I thought I needed here. I'm sure there are simple check valve that open from the pressure of water from above and drain line below. When weight of water is gone the check valve closes. Or if I could access the waste water line after the trap for the normal outflow from the washer I could place the trap here and the normal waste water could keep it full and keep the gases out. Matter-of-fact the winter home does have a trap hidden in the garage ceiling from the washer grey water dump.

thanks

Walt

Last edited by walt1122; 05-02-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling error accessible not acceptable
walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Master Plumber
 
Javiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 586
Default

code issue? I think!


Your over thinking this spinning in circles, why not put a pan under each toilet tank i mean you have the same chance of a toilet tank bursting /cracking which Ive seen more than a washer leak. keep fresh hoses on the machine sense its up stairs shut down the valves when going away for a few days, and most importantly keep a good insurance policy in force. just run a line to the exterior and be done with it.
__________________


Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,300
Rewards Points: 506
Default

code issue? I think!


Quote:
Originally Posted by walt1122 View Post
Hi Jproffer, since the water would be coming from a defective washer ( grey water) I figured it shouldn't go to the ground water via an outside emergency drain but rather to the septic system. We can not dump this water outside from the normal operation now so i thought it shouldn't go outside even in an emergency. My bathtub doesn't have a trap that is accessible on some wall anywhere so why would I need on in the wall somewhere as has been suggested as a code requirement on earlier posts. We have a second home where we go for the winter to get out-of-the-snow. I pour vegetable oil down the traps that could dry out over time and allow waste gas to enter house. Longer term I could use honey instead to keep it from oil going rancid if it was an emergency use only drain that I thought I needed here. I'm sure there are simple check valve that open from the pressure of water from above and drain line below. When weight of water is gone the check valve closes. Or if I could access the waste water line after the trap for the normal outflow from the washer I could place the trap here and the normal waste water could keep it full and keep the gases out. Matter-of-fact the winter home does have a trap hidden in the garage ceiling from the washer grey water dump.

thanks

Walt
After I saw the reason for not going to the septic system, it made sense. Contrary to what I said first, I wouldn't do that.

Vegatable oil?? Honey?? Honey is going to draw insects, I would think.


Put the plug in the drain and stuff something into/put tape over the overflow, if there is one. Done deal.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
walt1122
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 217
Rewards Points: 182
Default

code issue? I think!


thanks guys. Javiles, you must live in a rough neighborhood to see that many broken toilets. I winterize our toilets before we go away for the winter and shut off and drain the water supply. Drain the hot water tank too even though we have a drain pan under it. And yes, I even pour a little windshield washer -25F solution in the toilet tank and flush then pour some down the trap including the washer and spin out the solution to the trap. I've had a frozen burst pipe once while in this house and it wasn't pretty. So yes, I guess I am thinking this too much but I've seen and had to clean/repair the damage so I am overcautious.

The pan we have now is a cheap rusted piece of galvanized metal with a 3/4 copper line out the bottom and goes two feet and then opens to the first floor ceiling. I would be remiss if I did not point this out to the next buyer of the home or have it fixed. Having the washer on the second floor is considered unusual so I don't want to alarm any perspective buyers. I already agreed that for the sake of simplicity I would run a piece of flex tubing down and out of the house. I was just speculation on alternative methods that I thought were viable and possibly a better alternative.

Yes, jproffer honey! Highly unlikely that an insects interested in entering the waste pipe via the roof vent? would be of any concern or consequence. It would be a sweet death. Honey is one of the few foods that take years and years to go bad if it ever does. They have even found edible honey in the tombs in Egypt thousands of years old.

True story! New neighbor in Tennessee said he thought something had died under his house in the crawlspace. They had bought the (vacant for almost a year) house a few months ago and hadn't finished moving in yet but did have some furniture and stayed there on weekends. I went over and yes house stunk but the crawl space didn't. Another neighbor said it was something dead or problem with those one way valves on the vent stacks in the ceiling ( no waste pipes go through his roof). No smell in attic so I went to the kitchen got a quart of water and whent to the utility room where the washer and dryer had not been installed yet and poured the water down the drain and the smell stopped. I told them if they weren't going to get the washer running then use the lighter than water vegetable oil until they did.


Walt


Last edited by walt1122; 05-02-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: computer changed word on me! want Unusual
walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trane XR90 issue jasun HVAC 7 10-08-2012 06:18 PM
Bringing up to code? housemi Electrical 21 08-28-2012 06:58 PM
HVAC condensor fan outside intermittant wheelsup HVAC 21 05-24-2012 10:25 AM
Need advice; GC's ignorance of code to cost us extra? Merst Off Topic 9 06-12-2010 09:22 AM
code details for boxes kama Electrical 6 01-30-2009 10:25 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.