Code With Flooring Over Sump Pit - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Code with flooring over sump pit

I am finishing our half basement and have a sump pit (no pump) in one corner of the concrete floor. I have lived in the house for 3 years (plus or minus a few deployments) and have never noticed any moisture down in it when I have bothered to remove the cover and look, though that has only been maybe half a dozen times. I am in Colorado, which is a very dry state.

Questions:
Does anyone know if I can (by code) floor over the sump pit?
I assume that if I am allowed to, then that kinda answers if it would be a horrible idea to do it.
If I can't just floor over it (with Delta-FL and Plywood subfloor), then what kind of access am I required to have to get to it? Would I need to frame out that 10 sf of corner, leaving it as a utility closet with its own access needs?
I thought this would be a pretty easy google search, but I have not found anything approaching an answer. I COULD of course call and ask an inspector, but I'd rather be somewhat informed before that discussion.

Thanks,
Adam

Advertisement

adamjay42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Adam,
I don't think it would be a good idea to cover it up. I would build a closet around it so you have easy access to it in case of future maintenance.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have never seen a code that even requires a sump pit. Although it is a good thing to have, in case you need it, it is an extra when the home was built. Only person i would contact is my insurance agent.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

My wife called the regional Building Dept. and they said I could not cover it (at least not without having some form of access) AND I needed an electric drop near it so I could plug in and drop a sump pump in if needed. He also said I needed plumb it so that there were pipes leaving the house (I assume he meant OTHER than the drain into the pit.)

Seems odd to me, but then again I'm forced to put in these floating walls, which is also odd to me. I

f I can just drop a pump in, why can't I use an extension cord, avoiding the electrical source requirement. AND if this is an "you need this by code so in emergencies you can do this" then why can't I also run some flexible poly to provide tubes to pump the water out.

I am more confused now. I guess I'll just leave it and have an inspector come and get the face to face explaination. It matters because if I HAVE to leave access then the closet will go around this pit. If I can cover it with flooring, then the closet will be on the other side of the room.
adamjay42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Adam,
In our area, the sumps are put in to drain the footers when there isn't a storm sewer low enough to tie into. A pump is installed and plumbed with 1 1/4 plastic pipe up and to the outside with a check valve right above the pump. A separate single outlet (not a duplex) is put in within reach of the cord on the pump. I would be curious to know what is actually draining into yours.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Looks like you are looking at Local Codes. Since you can't fight City Hall, I guess having the inspector out is the best bet. The electrical outlet should have been installed when the house was built if the sump is a requirement.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Be glad you have one.......http://books.google.com/books?id=mNB...lorado&f=false

http://www.callpie.com/articles/arti...ock/Page1.html

http://www.geotecheng.com/papers/fou..._and_risks.htm

Part of the Colorado building code for basements:
If perimeter walls are over a spread type footing, no need to float
��Floating walls are required at interior unless documentation shows slab movement is limited based on soils report or engineered foundation plan

Be safe, Gary

Advertisement