Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

is this to code?

Is the below ok code wise given the sink and tub are properly vented? I am in Ohio.

Attached Thumbnails
is this to code?-plumbing-8.png  

dgfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #2

is this to code?

Is there some reason you cannot install the 3 by 2 Y downstream of the WC and run 2 inch to the sink or tub with a vent on whichever is more convenient. If your in Medina county I hope to see a permit. Hint Hint Either way you will need to vent the sink/tub but since I can't see the plan your guess is as good as mine.

By the way it must be 3 inch below and above the roof 12 inches minimal.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 04-04-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-05-2014), dgfit (04-05-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #3

is this to code?

Thanks. I am in Wayne and do have my permit. I have the tub and sink vented separately and tied back into the stack in the attic. The wc sits directly in from of the stack almost in the middle of the wall and the tub and sink are on either side of the room. I need to bring the sink and tub drains into the same joist bay as the wc. Are you saying I can bring the tub and sink drain into the same 3 inch line as the wc - so from the stack I would have the wc, then the sink and then the tub? That would be awesome.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 6

is this to code?

If i am looking at your drawing correctly its not gonna work on the tub and lav line you cant drop down vertical then back into the main, any waste arm running horizontal connecting into a vertical must be vented. if you can post pictures of the proposed work area it would help.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

is this to code?

DJ..... I'm a GC... NOT A PLUMBER.... so take this as discussion only.

(Every time I get involved in plumbing, I have to pull out my plumbing/venting book and restudy it... which I have not done... but no plumber is responding here so....)

Yes.... I think you are fine. You said you vented already (outside your drawing) your tub and sink trap arm...upstream from your main stack.

Your toilet is vented by your mainstack with no drainage above it... so no wet venting is involved.... (aparently now requiring an increase in pipe sizeing)

I am assuming, (without checking my book) that your two inch tub/sink is sized appropriate for the DFU's of a tub and sink....

Just my non-professional opinion.....

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 04-05-2014 at 10:23 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

is this to code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
If i am looking at your drawing correctly its not gonna work on the tub and lav line you cant drop down vertical then back into the main, any waste arm running horizontal connecting into a vertical must be vented. if you can post pictures of the proposed work area it would help.
Javiles..... Hope a plumber will jump in here.... because (unless recent code changes) with correct pipe sizing and limited distance, the vertical stack becomes the vent......

Now multiple horizontals into a vertical stack, can become an issue of wet venting if I understand correctly... which involves other considerations.

Best

EDIT: JAVILLES... Please excuse me, I did not realize you were a master plumber... I meant no insult.

So, in the alternative, can you explain, correct my thinking. Maybe you did not read that the OP said his tub/sink was vented upstream of the vertical.

And, are we still allowed to wet vent.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 04-05-2014 at 10:13 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 26

is this to code?

To date- 2 plumbers, one is a current inspector on Ohio have commented on the drawing. I haven't because I don't know Ohio code. But, if the 2" line has the vents for the fixtures served it would pass UPC inspection
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4

is this to code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
To date- 2 plumbers, one is a current inspector on Ohio have commented on the drawing. I haven't because I don't know Ohio code. But, if the 2" line has the vents for the fixtures served it would pass UPC inspection

Whether they are inspectors, plumbers or master plumbers matters not if they didn't read the question properly. The OP said that the lav and shower were vented.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 26

is this to code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut
Whether they are inspectors, plumbers or master plumbers matters not if they didn't read the question properly. The OP said that the lav and shower were vented.
No body said plumbers could read though
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

is this to code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
No body said plumbers could read though
and we know inspector's can't......

just kidding Ghost....

Best
Old 04-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #11

is this to code?

Thanks everyone - here is the entire drawing showing the tub and lav vented. I am reading Ohio code to say that lav is 1 unit with min trap size of 1.25" and tub (with or without shower) is 2 units with min trap size of 1.5" and allows up to 6 units for 2" pipe and 3 units for 1.5" pipe. It also allows for an entire "bathroom group" to be sized at 6 units. So I believe I am good on all the sizes.

Regarding wet venting - the code says:

909.1 Horizontal wet vent permitted.

Any combination of fixtures within two bathroom groups located on the same floor level is permitted to be vented by a horizontal wet vent. The wet vent shall be considered the vent for the fixtures and shall extend from the connection of the dry vent along the direction of the flow in the drain pipe to the most downstream fixture drain connection to the horizontal branch drain. Each wet-vented fixture drain shall connect independently to the horizontal wet vent. Only the fixtures within the bathroom groups shall connect to the wet-vented horizontal branch drain. Any additional fixtures shall discharge downstream of the horizontal wet vent.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

is this to code?

DJ..... Yes....

As to wet venting.... I was refering to Vertical wet venting which I believe is the section right before that one on special bathroom groups horizontal wet venting.

We used to be able to wet vent a vertical stack (same floor) right into our stack size.... I believe that now we have to upsize that wet vent either one or two pipe sizes....(which interestingly then has a larger pipe feeding into a smaller pipe)...

Maybe a pro plumber will explain/clarrify these wet venting issues for us...

Although I do not believe they either apply in your assembly.

Best
Old 04-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #13

is this to code?

Oh yes your right. The link to the entire section on went venting is below. I had not noticed the sizing chart at the bottom of that link - it appears I do need a 2.5" vent up through the roof. Am I reading that correctly?

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st...-P-2011-000004
Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 6

is this to code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
weather or not vented the questionable connection is where hes tieing the tub and the lav,the Bends to be of "large radius" i.e., vertical drop... minimum root radius code vary in this area. the distance from that connection to the trapped fixtures mainly the tub falls into question, we follow 2 codes IPC and the south florida building code, one would pass the other will not

the way Ghost suggested in his post would be the correct way to bring in the tub and lav.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net

Last edited by Javiles; 04-05-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Remodel and New Build GC

is this to code?

DJ..... I have not read that as yet.... I will.... but I do not think your assembly as designed involves any wet venting .