Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Red face

closet ring flange help/explaination

Hi, here I'm again:Before we start , let get some knowledge .
Hope someone will explans this clearly to me. The waste pipe connected directly to a closet ring .(correct). There is no other item between the flange and the waste pipe.correct?
This is what I see after taken the vinyl and the 3/8" partial board underlayment off. After removing the wax seal off the ring, I see two V- shape cut niches , one on each opposite end for the flang bolt. I do not notice any screw , therfore the ring must be lead seal with the waste pipe and not bolt to the subfloor, correct?
Now here the issue: I want to install a hardieboard(1/4") with thinset motar on both side;(replacing a vinyl flooring to ceramic tile) which means I will be way above the existing flange ring. Now I heard people mentions flange intention ? How do you attach to the existing ring when there no screws which once can remove and put the extention ring over and attach both together? Do anyone have a photo of a intention and show how to atttach that on a exiting ring? Picture tell a thousand words. Help. I need to get this work done, my wife have no bathroom to uses since last week.

Last edited by eyeglass; 09-08-2009 at 06:50 PM.
eyeglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Closet flange extenders are available in different thicknesses. They have holes around the edge which match most current flanges so no drilling is necessary. This is not true of all flanges, especially old ones. Some drains were installed in concrete and needed nothing to hold them down. I would get a flange extender of the thickness needed and drill at least two holes to connect the extender into the floor and original flange. Click on the link below for a picture of an extender.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...ng-117838.aspx

Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Closet flange extenders are available in different thicknesses. They have holes around the edge which match most current flanges so no drilling is necessary. This is not true of all flanges, especially old ones. Some drains were installed in concrete and needed nothing to hold them down. I would get a flange extender of the thickness needed and drill at least two holes to connect the extender into the floor and original flange. Click on the link below for a picture of an extender.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...ng-117838.aspx

Majakdragon: thanks for your reply. See the thread photo of Cody21 (6-21-2009 11:12 am), my look exactly like that;notices no screws but just two niches for the bolts. Cast-iron. Now you said to screw on top of this cast-iron flange? Do I use metal which sound like a better than PVC?
My current flange is 1/4"(i think)above the subfloor and going to put in 1/4"hardieboard with 1/4"thin set on both side of the board and top off with 1/4"ceramin tile. So does the tile finish a hair below the top of the new flange or flush?

Last edited by eyeglass; 09-09-2009 at 06:39 PM.
eyeglass is offline   Reply With Quote