DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

closet flange trouble for antique toilet

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Leah Frances 
#1 ·
My closet bend is 11/2 inches below a new tile floor. I am installing a new closet flange. The flange fits on the new tile floor, however the toilet I am installing is an antique (and I would like to keep it) and when I set it on any new flange the toilet bottoms out on the flange bevel and the toilet sits about 3/4" above the floor. Is this a matter of finding a correct flange to match my antique toilet? Or can I grind on the inside of the plastic bevel to help lower the toilet to the floor. (leak?). I am hoping not having to shim the toilet that high and chalk around it.

#2 ·
You will never be able to grind out enough to make up 3/4". I have not seen a toilet that the outlet protrudes that far down. If you are using a 3" flange (and the pipe is 3"), you may need to go to a flange that reduces from 4" to 3" to fit the pipe and yet allows the toilet to sit flush on the floor. I have included a link to show you a picture of one.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Products/productpage.asp?product=00748

#3 ·
thank you for your reply majakdragon. I may have to try that. I have previously tried a 4x3 tko sioux chief and a 4" closet flange repl pvc. I measured the drop out and it is 1'' from the recess for the wax ring to the end of the drop out. The toilet is marked 22 9 15 on the bottom so I am assuming it was made in 1922. I could be wrong on this. The tank mounts on the wall with an ell connecting to the back of the toilet. It was made by the Trenton Potteries company and has China (smudged out) eous impervio t p on top of a star with a 4 inside it and co. below the star. Just in case you have an interest in old w.c.

#4 ·
Antique Toilet

Diyb,

You may find a partial solution to any height problems with this new product called Set-Rite.

I found them originally on a YouTube video and ordered their Extender Kit from their website www.set-rite.com I think they have their video on their website too.

I used it on my mother-in-law's house and it worked great...it better!!

I carry a couple of their kits in my truck now...just in case!

Handy Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.